Launching a DSMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not sure the divers experience level is relevant. Was it an acceptable demonstration of the skill or was it so flawed that it was dangerous?

I’m a little confused about the implied theme that one methodology is used for traing and another (quite different one) is used in practice. I would expect little divergence in techniques? Obviously a demo or teaching video might be done slower.

I’m not sure the divers experience level is relevant. Was it an acceptable demonstration of the skill or was it so flawed that it was dangerous?

I’m a little confused about the implied theme that one methodology is used for traing and another (quite different one) is used in practice. I would expect little divergence in techniques? Obviously a demo or teaching video might be done slower.
Dangerous is a relative term. Even the smallest DSMB creates over 6 pounds of lift in a hurry. That is something you need to respect and every effort should be taken to prevent this from disturbing your or any other diver's buoyancy. Some people can deal with unexpected positive buoyancy easily, others may be pushed into a run-away ascent. Why take the risk?

Verify that nobody is in the path of your blob and avoid any chance of entanglement in the up-line. Keep the line tight so that the red sausage is more visible on the surface. The detailed steps demonstrated in training videos are just the practical implementation of these goals. There is no need to do it differently in real-life.

Time becomes more critical when you are following a deco schedule.

Last edited:
Firstly, I was not the one who introduced CO2 inflators and other stuff into the discussion.

Again.... My intention was to demonstrate that launching a DSMB doesn't need to be a chore. it is not a surprise that several people have joined the thread with the intention of making the skill look exceedingly complex.

Go back to the OP. Watch the video..... does it look exceedingly complex?

R..

There are several GUE instructors in the UK that will teach you a very similar approach in nasty conditions with appropriate thermal protection. And you will learn to do this a whole lot faster than in the OP's video if you have an open mind.
Even with the completly unnecessary CO2 inflator you still need to manage the double enders, the spool, and the bungee holding the blob together.

I'm not saying I need it, I have plenty of practise and have a fundies tech pass, my point was there is never a video to show what it's like, even the GUE video is glove free in nice calm, warm water.

I'm not saying I need it, I have plenty of practise and have a fundies tech pass, my point was there is never a video to show what it's like, even the GUE video is glove free in nice calm, warm water.
The only time I have seen Bob Sherwood (GUE) in anything other than his big, blue dry gloves was when he demonstrated pull and glide in a cave. He will teach anyone to launch a DSMB in less than half the time with ZERO risk to you or other divers in any water you choose in any thermal protection. I am sure, you saw the same in your Fundies.

Of course, the glossy demo videos are shot in environments that make it easy for the videographer; the real class videos shot in murky water are typically kept confidential.

Last edited:
I am searching a video about dbsm deployment by Bob Sherwood but I didn’t find any. I found other similar videos by people who seem to be part of GUE organization

Yesterday I was training in launching the DSMB and the instructor strongly recommended not to inflate it by mouth
He said there is the risk of getting the line entangled to the teeth while inflating and break the teeth. Didn't know that

Yesterday I was training in launching the DSMB and the instructor strongly recommended not to inflate it by mouth
He said there is the risk of getting the line entangled to the teeth while inflating and break the teeth. Didn't know that
:rofl3:

He is the type that demands safety warnings on everything I would bet.

Thanks @Diver0001 for the vid and the thought. The warning about inflating by mouth is hilarious. I'm afraid incessant, complex discussion of the inane is an internet trademark. I'm going back to the 5 page thread on clipping a bolt snap. (uh oh here comes the bolt snap brigade :)). j/k

Back
Top Bottom