Halcyon Focus 2.0 vs Light Monkey 32W Variable Focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a good question. I couldn't find anything more useful than what has been stated in this thread. I decided on the Focus, mainly because the compact battery is more conducive to air travel than the LM canisters.

Okay, I decided to get the Focus as well, interestingly it was cheaper then the Light Monkey by $200 when I buy the light head alone by E/O Cable. Anyways, thanks again.

Where are you buying the Focus 2.0 cheaper than the LM VF?

Where are you buying the Focus 2.0 cheaper than the LM VF?

I bought the light from my dive shop. I didn't bought the complete set, just the head light assembly with E/O cable to connect to my battery. The price was $725 compared to going to Lightmonkey.us and buying the 32w VF for $950. And this was the Focus 1, not the 2.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. The Focus 1.0 is much cheaper than either the VF or the 2.0.

My Dive buddy has the focus, I have the LM 32w. I hate the focus, I despise it. It is a pencil beam with no spill. I can never tell which direction he is heading. It lights nothing but an incredibly small area.

The LM OTOH doesnt have the pencil beam, more spill, and lights a bigger area. Its also a canister with smaller light head, rather than that long focus thing.

Having had both side by side, I'd take the LM in a heartbeat

My Dive buddy has the focus, I have the LM 32w. I hate the focus, I despise it. It is a pencil beam with no spill. I can never tell which direction he is heading. It lights nothing but an incredibly small area.

Is that because that is all the Focus can do? Or is it just how your buddy dives it (i.e. with it always adjusted to focus to a small spot)?

I hate the focus, I despise it. It is a pencil beam with no spill. I can never tell which direction he is heading
Forgive me here, but isn't that kinda the point of a can, especially in dark water? Focus and punch?

Don't have a dog in this fight, I think Halcyon and LM are awesome lights.

When all you see is a spot beam, you cant tell where the heck the diver is or how close you are, or what direction hes moving., With punch AND spill, you get that. Thus why I'd take the LM without a moments hesitation. Its just a bonus you dont have this long ass light and battery up your arm.

When all you see is a spot beam, you cant tell where the heck the diver is or how close you are, or what direction hes moving., With punch AND spill, you get that.

So if I understand correctly, what you're saying is the Focus will give you EITHER a "pencil beam" OR a wide beam, depending on how you adjust the focusing knob, but it is incapable of mimicking the traditional HID pattern of a center spot with a halo around that. Yes?

Back
Top Bottom