Fins for snorkeling and pool training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I already read some threads on similar topics but I found they are mostly more than 1 year old, I'll open a new one

I bought a pair of full foot fins for snorkeling and especially training in the pool, these ones
Snorkeling - Pinne snorkeling adulto Speed
Honestly I am not happy about them. I feel they are too soft. It is normal for snorkeling fins to be softer than the ones used for scuba in the sea, like the Mares Plana Avanti 4 I use for scuba. Still I feel uncomfortable
I would like to buy a pair of fins for snorkeling and pool training only, not too soft, full foot only, preferably light and not too big since they would be brought in trips and back and forth to the pool during training

Do you have any advice on types brands and models?
Thanks

As a lifelong snorkeller, never a scuba diver, I would maintain that snorkelling fin selection is entirely a matter of personal preference when it comes to types, brands and materials. I'm a traditionalist and therefore it will come as no surprise that my fins of choice are all-rubber full-foot fins that have passed the test of time and that provide all the power, manoeuvrability and endurance I need in the sea or lake or river.

A couple of examples:
beco-pinne-in-gomma-1cw1m5h8w-727-500x500_0.jpg

Purchasable in your country at Beco – Pinne in gomma - 1CW1M5H8W
Snorkeling%20Fin%20Red-500x500.JPG

Purchasable in your country at Pinne Snorkeling Fin Poseidon.

Both would serve perfectly well as long-bladed swim training fins too. They have sufficient stiffness in the blades to ensure reasonable propulsion while their foot pockets are soft and comfortable.

Australian Pete Atkinson, featured in an article on Divernet at My favourite kit - Pete Atkinson, considers such fins good enough for scuba use in underwater photography:
91050.jpg

His take on them: "I currently use the best fins I have ever used, but no dive store in Cairns will stock them, as they arent profitable enough. They are orange and blue, Malaysian rubber fins by Eyeline, available from a local sports shop for £20. From new, I could snorkel for a couple of hours without any hint of blisters. They are stiff enough that I can push a Seacam housing around all day.For the diving I do, such full-foot fins are by far the best. Manufacturers continue to dream up fancy expensive gimmicks to extract more money from us. Ill concede that a few of these might actually be useful but, offhand, I cant think of any."

You don't have to follow my, and Pete's, suit, of course, because fins are a matter of personal preference as I said at the start of my response. First locate several pairs of fins that fit well, so that you can wear them for hours on end without discomfort. Then make a decision to buy based on general comfort and blade stiffness. You won't have to spend a lot of money to buy something that will work for you. And remember, what works for others fin-wise may not be the best for you, particularly if they recommend specific brands/models or suggest fins designed for other pursuits such as scuba or freediving. Happy snorkelling!

Last edited:
Thank you so much (and thank you also for linking Italian websites, I appreciate)

note that swimmers typically use very short fins for pool training: long blades promote wrong cadence (too slow) and foot placement (too wide). AFAIK tyr burners and finis zoomers are the most commonly used for doing laps in the pool.

I snorkel a mile in the pool 3-4 times weekly (all legs, no arms). I use the same Atomic splits in the pool that I use for diving.

They seem to work just fine in that I can do the mile in about 45 minutes.

I use Scubapro Jetfins. A lot of people say they are hard on the legs, but I think that is undeserved. I like them because they have a lot of power in a compact frame. They also store well in my small gym locker because of their small size.

I've used the rubber swim fins provided by the pool a number of times. There is a definite loss of power and speed as compared to the Jetfins.

I've also found that longer scuba fins, like the Mares Avanti Quattro, feel awkward for snorkeling.

You may want to take a look at scubapro GO fins, I have found them to be very easy to swim with and excellent for frog kick, sort of a full foot concept with the foot pocket/bungee.

I started diving a few years ago, and fins were definitely the first thing I bought. I have some Oceanic Viper fins and I love them. They’re open foot so you will need to invest in booties but I really like the feel. Not too big or small, perfect stiffness. You should definitely consider!

I am curious about short fins for swimming. For diving I use Mares Avanti 4, which I like very much. For snorkeling I also used the same fins, which I quite like. When snorkeling mostly I only do surface snorkeling, swimming quite slowly and not doing freediving or spearfishing or other similar activities
So I need fins especially for the pool, but they must be good for scuba exercises also, not only for swimming
What do you think, is it a good idea to buy short fins for swimming like these for example?
Amazon.com : Cressi AGUA SHORT, Adult Short Fins for Swimming & Snorkeling - Made in Italy - Cressi: Italian Quality Since 1946 : Sports & Outdoors

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom