hyperbaric chamber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I have built air pressure chambers the first test I put in lots of pressure and make sure I am no where near as the pressure comes up. If it doesn't fail then the odds get better.

Somewhat along these lines I'm planning on building a small pressure tank for testing depth gauges and for leaks etc. I have built several successful camera housings and this is way more complicated with the pressure on the inside instead of the outside. You can't just glue an acrylic bottom to a tube and expect it to hold. Hmmm... I got my girlfriend a pressure cooker for Christmas. I wonder if she'd notice if it was missing....

Somewhat along these lines I'm planning on building a small pressure tank for testing depth gauges and for leaks etc.

You can safely make a small pressure pot out of standard steel pipe fittings. Pressure ratings vary by diameter and schedule (thickness) but the numbers are on the Internet. The main thing that makes it safe is venting all the air out and pressurizing with water. No trapped gas and you get a leak and an instant pressure drop failure. All or trapped gas and you get an explosion.

A screw cap at one end, a bolt flange at the other, and a pipe nipple in between. The flange can be made of thick plexiglas. The formula is on the net. If you want to be ultra-safe, don't look into the transparent port. Mount a TV camera to it or use a mirror.

Somewhat along these lines I'm planning on building a small pressure tank for testing depth gauges and for leaks etc. I have built several successful camera housings and this is way more complicated with the pressure on the inside instead of the outside. You can't just glue an acrylic bottom to a tube and expect it to hold. Hmmm... I got my girlfriend a pressure cooker for Christmas. I wonder if she'd notice if it was missing....
I use a clear water filter housing with a pressure regulator. Fill it up with water. Put the computer in and cover on and take it to depth. And you can watch as you do it.

I got my girlfriend a pressure cooker for Christmas. I wonder if she'd notice if it was missing....

Pressure cookers are low pressure, the pressure is there to maintain the heat and keep air from entering for sterilization. Off the top of my head it's 5 or 10 pounds.

You can safely make a small pressure pot out of standard steel pipe fittings. Pressure ratings vary by diameter and schedule (thickness) but the numbers are on the Internet

At your local hydraulic shop, you can get 3000# as well as other service pressure fittings. Have to clean them up because they are not worried about oil contamination when going on hydraulic systems. TMI?

Bob

There’s a thread here some place on building the pressure tester with the filter housing. IIRC max pressure was 120ish. I got all of the parts a while back but haven’t had time to assemble and test.

Good idea. What kind of pressure are they rated for? Products for domestic water pressure is usually limited to 100-120 PSI or 225-270'.
Plenty enough for my purposes.

The main thing that makes it safe is venting all the air out and pressurizing with water. No trapped gas and you get a leak and an instant pressure drop failure. All or trapped gas and you get an explosion.

That was an excellent point to mention! "Don't try this at home kids"...

Back
Top Bottom