Dive Ops recommendation for Boynton Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Savoir Laire

I dive out of Boynton Harbor Marina very frequently. I use 3 of the 4 operators leaving from there, Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, and Starfish. All 3 of these operators are very good. None of them put a DM/guide in the water. Nearly all of the diving is drift diving on the reef. It would be appropriate for newer divers and a brand new diver. The max depth on the west facing inside reef is about 65 feet, most of the dive is shallower. Being new to the area and to drift diving, I would also recommend you dive with a guide, at least for the first 2 dives. Navigation of the reef is generally extremely easy and it is not terribly difficult to dive with the float and flag. You may have the confidence to dive by yourselves the second day.

Underwater Explorers takes only six divers, if you had a guide, there would only be a couple of other divers. Kevin Metz delivers very personal service. Loggerhead takes up to 20 divers, it is the biggest and most open of the 3 and does not feel terribly crowed most of the time. Starfish takes up to 12 or 13 divers, it sometimes seems very crowded due to the boat configuration. I recommend all three of these operators very highly, you can't go wrong.

+ another vote for all three. I've used these three ops as well. I can also recommend all three.

Well, just got back from our Fri-Mon trip to FL and thought I would close the loop on this. As it turned out, my older daughter was unable to complete her last two check out dives a month or so ago (something about 45 degree water in a drysuit in a pond on Cape Cod and not being able to feel her fingers through 5 ml gloves:)) so we now needed to get her certified on one day, and see if we could get us all on a dive the second day. I was put in contact with Boynton Beach Dive Center, who arranged for an SSI instructor to finish her referral dives, and then to guide all 3 of us for our 4 drift dives. We used Joe Suarez, who was great, as was Kevin on UE and Alex, another guide who dove with us and really knew the reef. We dove along the Boynton Beach ledge, did Gazebo site twice, and it was def a learning experience. You have to get in the water and get down to depth right away or risk missing the reef due to current, which we kind of did the first dive and had to really fight current to get over to the ledge. I will say for such a relatively narrow reef ledge, it holds a tremendous amount of fish life, we saw lots of big green morays, queen, french and rock beauty angels, many lionfish (boo), and so many porkfish, grunts, soldier and squirrelfish. Plus hawksbill and loggerheads, and probably 100 lobsters (off season of course!). So a very good time, both daughters are now certified in time for July/August trip to Africa including 5 days diving on Mnemba Atoll off Zanzibar! Thanks to all who helped from this forum!

Hi @Savoir Laire

Very glad it worked out well for you and your daughters. I have dived on boats with Joe many times. Kevin and Alex are good friends.

Have a great time in Africa.

Good diving, Craig

So you can plan for future trips, diving the east coast of Florida is is great from Jupiter down to Islemorada. All the dive charters I’ve used in the Palm Beach area have a DM in the water, but as said earlier, they are not there to be your dive buddy although they will take you to the best spots on the reef.

I would just watch where I get my tanks filled. This is a photo of the fill station at Boynton Marina. Looks like it's in use. Don't know what ops use it, but the picture says it all. Boynton Beach Dive Center is an alternative

This is what it looks like
Compressor.jpg

Oh, @tekkydiver

Shame on you. The compressor at Loggerhead has not been in use for quite a while. Underwater Explorers, Starfish, and Loggerhead get their cylinders from Boynton Beach Dive Center, who also owns Smart Fills. I'm not sure where Splashdown gets their cylinders, they may have their own compressor.

What was your purpose in posting this picture with inaccurate information? Which operator do you use in Boynton Beach?

Good diving, Craig

Is is possible to bring your own tanks on these dives with these operators?
I am advanced certified and nitrox. My buddy is OW only. I know how to shoot a dsmb; my buddy does not. Are these dives more basic or advanced? We are looking to venture from Gulf spearfishing trips to East Coast drift diving and I do not have experience there. Thank you.

I am advanced certified and nitrox. My buddy is OW only. I know how to shoot a dsmb; my buddy does not. Are these dives more basic or advanced? We are looking to venture from Gulf spearfishing trips to East Coast drift diving and I do not have experience there. Thank you.
I'm assuming you are inquiring about Boynton Beach. See my post #9 for starters.

Yes, you can bring your own tanks on any of the boats. Many of the dives are appropriate for new divers, especially the inside, west facing reef. Conditions vary, current ranges from essentially none to ripping. The outside, east facing reef is deeper with more varied terrain. There are 3 moderately deep wrecks that vary from very easy to not, depending on current and visibility.

If you are already used to carrying a flag, that would make it easier than picking up a new, not terribly difficult skill. Being able to deploy a SMB is particularly useful should you get separated from your flag or wreck, partcularly in brisk current. Would be useful if your buddy was also nitrox certified if not already

The boat will drop you and your buddy on the reef with your own dive flag and will pick you up when you surface. If you have AOW training, you should be fine. Find out what your buddies comfort level is. You can always hire a DM when you book for about $100 per day.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom