OTS Spectrum reviews ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Each mask usually has the procedure documented, but they are similar.

For the Spectrum...
Don the mask , press the mask to the face, look up 45 degrees, exhale, pull the drain tab while the regulator purge button is pressed. Once the mask is pretty much cleared, you then pull down on the drain tab and exhale forcefully to clear any remaining water. This may take a few attempts to clear all remaining water.

When diving with a FFM, you should carry a backup mask to be used with the octo.
If you are in an OOA situation with your FFM, to breath with your buddy's octo you need to remove your FFM and don the normal mask.
well technically you don't need a mask in an OOA situation....

Just ordered my Spectrum during the fantastic Father's Day sale @Dive Right In Scuba had. Can't wait to receive my mask and finally be done with ill-fitting masks and what seems like the constant search for a mask that won't leak on my weirdo face!

Wondering if @anelson-OTS can update us on availability of the ABV accessory. This is definitely something I would want if I'm going to be using the mask regularly.

Just ordered my Spectrum during the fantastic Father's Day sale @Dive Right In Scuba had. Can't wait to receive my mask and finally be done with ill-fitting masks and what seems like the constant search for a mask that won't leak on my weirdo face!

Wondering if @anelson-OTS can update us on availability of the ABV accessory. This is definitely something I would want if I'm going to be using the mask regularly.
Hi @ScubaSteve85,

Glad to hear you took advantage of the sale! Please let me know what you think of the mask when you get the opportunity to try it out.

The latest I've heard from Engineering is that the ABV should be ready for sale Mid-August this year.

Hi @ScubaSteve85,

Glad to hear you took advantage of the sale! Please let me know what you think of the mask when you get the opportunity to try it out.

The latest I've heard from Engineering is that the ABV should be ready for sale Mid-August this year.
Thanks for the quick reply! That's great news. I'm looking forward to posting a full review of the mask from a FFM newbie's perspective in the coming weeks! Tell engineering that if they need a beta tester for the ABV, I'd be happy to volunteer my services! :wink:

Thanks for the quick reply! That's great news. I'm looking forward to posting a full review of the mask from a FFM newbie's perspective in the coming weeks! Tell engineering that if they need a beta tester for the ABV, I'd be happy to volunteer my services! :wink:
Haha, I'll pass the word along.

Link me to your review when you finish it! I'd love to hear what you think!

Cheers.

Hi @ScubaSteve85,

Definitely looking forward to this. I have had my spectrum FFM for a few months now because I got it at an amazing deal with the intention of using it for rec diving and eventually PS Diving, but honestly I haven't used it yet because all of my dives in San Diego (La Jolla Shores/Cove) are shore dives that require long surface swims, and I dont really feel like going a good amount of my air prior to reaching my drop down point.

For those who have done shore swims with your Spectrum, do you just leave it off until you get to your drop down point, leave it on and surface swim with it, or do you have another solution?

I've done both, swam to the dive spot and donned it and also put it on on shore and surface swam out to the spot. As a PSD, I donn it on shore with help from my tender to check the seal, especially when wearing a hood. Plus it is part of our pre dive safety check to ensure the mask is seated and working properly. That way I can immediately submerge when at the dive spot. Can't wait for the ABV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom