Apeks MTX-R Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pardon? There certainly is a lock/ and locator on the barrel which does not allow the barrel or lever to rotate at all. Its sneaky though. Maybe I'll post a video tonight explaining it.

Same as the old ones. Loose and the plastic flexes a little. In short, not good enough to prevent rotation of the air barrel when tightening the jam nut or hose fitting.

20180620_075639.jpg

@DanaHunt ,it is the same as on older models. It is plastic and leverage is really high, so when you torque locking nut up to spec it will yield and rotate. I'm not saying it will go round and round, but it will move out of plane.

Same as the old ones. Loose and the plastic flexes a little. In short, not good enough to prevent rotation of the air barrel when tightening the jam nut or hose fitting.
Not a chance in hell of anything flexing here. I dont know why it even matters. Show me the worn shuttles , barrels, arms, or diaphragms of concern not some hypothetical or potential problem. The mtx completely addresses your worry by fixing solid the axis of assembly on the barrel and lever.

I've serviced hundreds of xtx regulators in the public service. The torque spec on the nut is low. If you're flexing anything STOP!

Last edited:
Not a chance in hell of anything flexing here. I dont know why it even matters. Show me the worn shuttles , barrels, arms, or diaphragms of concern not some hypothetical or potential problem. The mtx completely addresses your worry by fixing solid the axis of assembly on the barrel and lever.
Have you DIY service on Apeks second stage? Not being rude, but most of regs will flex the barrel. If you haven't, then take our word for it.

You only have to look at the barrels on all my Apeks 2nds and they rotate a little...

The lever gets "out of plane". Try attaching the hose and jam nut with the faceplate open and you will see what I mean. Annoying as sh*t. Sometimes I give it a little "pre-twist" such that it levels when i finally tighten it. OTOH, it does not seem to affect performance. But the OC part of me still can't get over it. :D

Yes, if not checked after attaching hose lever can get very wonky, one leg touching diaphragm and the other not at all. Once you know this it's not a big problem but I'd rather not have to pay it any mind. Redesign the case copying a G250 and the quirk is gone.

@Pao or @admikar , can you post a pic of this for @DanaHunt ? If not, I'll try to find one of mine and open it up to show the 3-5 degree movement. It's enough to measurably change the friction component of the lever's movement against the diaphragm disc.
This is a real issue, and one that affects non-service-tech divers who just happen to change the hoses on their regs, with or without a torque wrench. HOG's initial model did the same, and I think it's only fair for us to be honest about this, as much as Apeks gets rave reviews otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom