First Dry Suit – what to keep on the table?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGNZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My next step in the world of Scuba is investing in a Dry Suit......Advice on these forums has been excellent for all the other gear you have recommended so thought I would try my luck on this topic :)

Keen to support my local retailers in New Zealand.

Looking across the various reputable retailers the following brands are available:

Santi

Waterproof

Fourth Element

Aqualung

Vikings

OMS

DUI

Bare

BDW

Scubapro

What I would like to do is weed out any of the brands that are of relatively poor quality within the group and/or are simply not good value for money.

Secondly, get some advice on which models within those brands would likely best meet my needs.

Don’t won’t to compromise fit

Obviously getting the right fit is important so I don’t want to just choose one brand based on reputation, however having few choices I can feel comfortable investing in would add some peace of mind.

While I don’t necessarily need the best of the best, it seems with dry suits that cheaping out just ends in tears!?

In terms of what I will be using it for:

General use: most of the year outside peak summer

Last weekend went for a dive and it was 13 oC at 9m (oF 55) and my 8mm wetty wasn’t quite cutting it! But, if I am spending so much on a suit I would like to use it in warmer conditions also. Also, the luxury of not having to climb into a cold wetty has some great appeal to it..

I also can be a little rough on gear so some extra durability is always nice to have....

Hunting: while I am doing less of this these days, when the opportunity presents I don’t want to feel afraid of damaging the suit. For example, we have nice big Crayfish (Lobsters) in New Zealand so having protection around the arms might be quite important.

Difference between Trilaminate and Cordura

I don’t really understand the difference between Trilaminate and Cordura? (is Cordura just one of the three layers)

Whats taking my fancy at the moment?

Waterproof D7 Pro Cordura (maybe the marketing is just good haha)

My body shape

While I assume this matter most when getting measured and trying gear on it can’t hurt to have a little insight:

180cm
82kg
Slim to Athletic build
Narrow wrists
Long but slim feet

Summary

Anyway, just looking for some general advice around brands and models that I should keep in the back of my mind before engaging with the various retailers. Sometimes they have agendas, or targets to meet so keen to keep focused on getting the correct fit and know which brands/models I feel comfortable investing in.

Regards,

G

Anyway, just looking for some general advice around brands and models that I should keep in the back of my mind before engaging with the various retailers. Sometimes they have agendas, or targets to meet so keen to keep focused on getting the correct fit and know which brands/models I feel comfortable investing in.
G

They all have "agendas"

Santi's quality has slipped, so they're out
Aqualung is a bit obscure, so they're out for me unless you get a screaming deal
OMS is made by DUI who has gone to hell in a handbasket lately so I would avoid both of them

There's four of them out of the way.

Cheaping out doesn't always mean a problem. Some of the best suits on the market are quite inexpensive. Having it fit properly is the key.

Cordura is the outer layer of SOME trilaminates. Trilam is just like it sounds, three layers. You have an inner fabric that protects against abrasion, a middle layer of an impermeable membrane that makes it airtight, and an outer fabric that protects against abrasion. Cordura is typically the outer layer of some of the heavier/more durable bag suits but comes at the cost of weight and comfort. To use DUI as an example because people are familiar with them, the FLX is cordura exterior, the TLS is PET exterior. Both trilaminates, but one is much lighter and more comfortable than the other while the other is much more durable. Many PET exterior suits have cordura panels for butt/knee/elbow for protection.

Based on your comments, I would look at either a cordura bag suit, or a neoprene drysuit. If not diving deep, then the non-compressed neoprene is a very viable option that will dive most like a wetsuit and is also the least expensive. A crushed neoprene will be the most durable, but is quite heavy so that's up to you. Both of them allow you to wear less undergarments which I find to be a very big positive when diving in warm surface climates because you can slip into the suit without having to put umpteen layers on.

Good luck.

I don't and haven't owned any of those brands, and would not really consider any of them based on what we have available in the US, but I usually go direct to the manufacturers vs. through a shop.
My top three list is USIA, Rofos, and O'Three depending on which kind of suit I want. USIA for cordura, Rofos for PET, O3 for neoprene and own/have owned all three *sold my USIA suits and o3 is on the way

Santi's quality has slipped, so they're out
Aqualung is a bit obscure, so they're out for me unless you get a screaming deal
OMS is made by DUI who has gone to hell in a handbasket lately so I would avoid both of them

There's four of them out of the way.

Cheaping out doesn't always mean a problem. Some of the best suits on the market are quite inexpensive. Having it fit properly is the key.

Cordura is the outer layer of SOME trilaminates. Trilam is just like it sounds, three layers. You have an inner fabric that protects against abrasion, a middle layer of an impermeable membrane that makes it airtight, and an outer fabric that protects against abrasion. Cordura is typically the outer layer of some of the heavier/more durable bag suits but comes at the cost of weight and comfort. To use DUI as an example because people are familiar with them, the FLX is cordura exterior, the TLS is PET exterior. Both trilaminates, but one is much lighter and more comfortable than the other while the other is much more durable. Many PET exterior suits have cordura panels for butt/knee/elbow for protection.

Based on your comments, I would look at either a cordura bag suit, or a neoprene drysuit. If not diving deep, then the non-compressed neoprene is a very viable option that will dive most like a wetsuit and is also the least expensive. A crushed neoprene will be the most durable, but is quite heavy so that's up to you. Both of them allow you to wear less undergarments which I find to be a very big positive when diving in warm surface climates because you can slip into the suit without having to put umpteen layers on.

Good luck.

I don't and haven't owned any of those brands, and would not really consider any of them based on what we have available in the US, but I usually go direct to the manufacturers vs. through a shop.
My top three list is USIA, Rofos, and O'Three depending on which kind of suit I want. USIA for cordura, Rofos for PET, O3 for neoprene and own/have owned all three *sold my USIA suits and o3 is on the way

Thanks,

The challenge being in New Zealand is that going via the Manufacture can be a real problem if there are issues to deal with. Everything involves international shipping and communication and in those cases local law isn't much help.

Thanks,

The challenge being in New Zealand is that going via the Manufacture can be a real problem if there are issues to deal with. Everything involves international shipping and communication and in those cases local law isn't much help.

you can't go wrong with a lot of the brands you listed. Bare, Scubapro, Waterproof, 4th Element are all phenomenal. I'd check to see which one is most reasonable to get custom fit with the features that you want and then report back since your prices are going to be wildly different than what we have here for comparison

I have just bought the new Scubapro Trilaminate Evertec Breathable (new for 2018). Overall I'm very happy with it my LDS is a premium dealer so I get a 10% discount which makes it very price competitive for what i believe is a good suit. Fit wise the XL was perfect for me. They have also now moved to replaceable neck and wrist seals, for me this was the deciding factor because other brands already had that feature and lets be honest it's important. Its nice and light and I think can be used all year round, my only concern is the integrated boot may be an issue down the line, I'm quite heavy on my feet and do a lot of shore dives so I hope the sole doesn't wear out. What I will say is they have velcro ankle ties as part of the suit, it stops any air getting into the boots and so far my buoyancy has been ideal, no ankle weights needed and even with light fins I have been very stable so that's another plus.

Another dive shop local to me offers the Fourth Element suits, for perspective and in total honestly its a better suit, better quality and they have a 3d scanning process so that every suit is made to measure (an awesome feature). But price wise I paid $1800 for mine and the equivalent Fourth Element is around $3.5k so depending on your budget that's my opinion on those 2 brands. A mate of mine has the 4th Element and loves it, I have dived with him a number of times so i have experience of both even though I own the Scubapro Evertec.

Hope this helps.

you can't go wrong with a lot of the brands you listed. Bare, Scubapro, Waterproof, 4th Element are all phenomenal. I'd check to see which one is most reasonable to get custom fit with the features that you want and then report back since your prices are going to be wildly different than what we have here for comparison

Thanks,

There is also this local business Oceandry Drysuits | Waders | Wetsuits

I am not in a massive rush so will take my time and update this thread as required.

All the previous gear that has been recommend to me on hear has proven to be excellent.

I have just bought the new Scubapro Trilaminate Evertec Breathable (new for 2018). Overall I'm very happy with it my LDS is a premium dealer so I get a 10% discount which makes it very price competitive for what i believe is a good suit. Fit wise the XL was perfect for me. They have also now moved to replaceable neck and wrist seals, for me this was the deciding factor because other brands already had that feature and lets be honest it's important. Its nice and light and I think can be used all year round, my only concern is the integrated boot may be an issue down the line, I'm quite heavy on my feet and do a lot of shore dives so I hope the sole doesn't wear out. What I will say is they have velcro ankle ties as part of the suit, it stops any air getting into the boots and so far my buoyancy has been ideal, no ankle weights needed and even with light fins I have been very stable so that's another plus.

Another dive shop local to me offers the Fourth Element suits, for perspective and in total honestly its a better suit, better quality and they have a 3d scanning process so that every suit is made to measure (an awesome feature). But price wise I paid $1800 for mine and the equivalent Fourth Element is around $3.5k so depending on your budget that's my opinion on those 2 brands. A mate of mine has the 4th Element and loves it, I have dived with him a number of times so i have experience of both even though I own the Scubapro Evertec.

Hope this helps.

Appreciate it, good to know those brands are worth keeping on the list :)

I received a brand new DUI TLS 350 Select on May 4. Trilaminate with pockets and kevlar covered knees, etc.
I have had 20 dives in it and it's been great, as it should be.
Regardless of some opinions ( Everyone is entitled to their own) DUI still continues to make an excellent drysuit.
In our area most dive in Bare, DUI and Aqualung and don't seem to have much of a problem with any. I've started noticing more USIA suits lately as well and they seem pretty nice.
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom