John Pennekamp State Park or Looe Key?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatRizzo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm going on a trip to the Keys and will probably dive once or twice. If once, which is the better place to go? I'll be diving alone and it seems like DMs don't go on dives so I have to join another group. Has anyone experienced this? The other option is to pay a guide $60 to go with me, not going to happen.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

Go with rainbow reef out of key largo. They will put you with a divemaster for free. We dove with them in April and they were great!

Might want to peruse this recent thread: Any Key Largo Dive Shops Include Divemaster Guides For Free?

We offer a guide on every trip, as well =)
@Key Largo Dive Center Smaller 6-pack op. I tried to dive with them in March, but got blown out due to weather, so I can't comment on that, but they took the initiative to communicate status and bent over backward to try to make it work - when, honestly, they would probably be losing money on that trip. To me that speaks very well of them.

I've heard the Looe Key is beautiful and I've tried to dive it 3 times but have blown out by bad weather each time. I've heard that it is one of the first places to be blown out on the Keys when weather starts to turn bad.

Key Largo is beautiful, I have many dives there. Most shops will let you dive solo if you are solo certified. If not, you'll need a Insta-buddy. Rainbow Reef boats are big and it is a popular dive operation so the boats are usually sold out and there isn't a ton of extra elbow room. With that said the staff and captains are top notch and well trained. They provide guides too so you don't have to worry about the Insta-buddy.

My main go to shop is Conch Republic, but they don't have guides unless you pay for one. They go to some out-of-the-way pretty reefs since they're a bit south of most of the KL shops. Rainbow is my second go to shop and I like Quiescence if I'm diving with friends since they let you pick the sites (its a six pack operator), but no guides unless you pay for one. I don't like six packs when I'm by myself since it can be miserable if you get stuck on a small boat with 5 jerks you don't know. A buddy and I had that happen a couple of times and it ruined the morning

I find most divers to be pleasant and easy to get along with. Is this a common problem for you, running into divers who are jerks? Out of curiosity what makes them jerks and why can't you simply ignore them on the relatively short boat ride out to most Key Largo dive sites, and go do your own dive? The wrecks and reefs are quite large you don't need to be anywhere near them.

Agreed, most divers are great.

But as in any group there are idiots, arrogant people (who really don't know what they are doing) and simply unpleasant individuals. Some parts of our great country seem to produce more than others, on average. On big boats, its easy to avoid them, if they are present, since you can go to the bow or flying bridge with the captain during the boat ride or surface interval. If you happen to get stuck with such folks on a small six pack, its no fun

PenneKamp is a fun dive.... however the vis isn't the greatest.... if you dive there... find the trench... I spent well over 60 minutes diving the trench looking at all the small critters.... there were lobster as well... when I was there vis was maybe 25' . That being said, be careful because when I surfaced at one point I was well outside of the "swim area" and actually into the boating lane...so I went back down and followed the trench back into safe waters.... I really wouldn't ever suggest diving alone... create a post on SB looking for dive buddy.... That being said... Lauderdale by the Sea is AWESOME and you can jump on MeetUp and find groups going almost daily.... It's not KeyLargo... but it is also a shore dive.

I'm going on a trip to the Keys and will probably dive once or twice. If once, which is the better place to go? I'll be diving alone and it seems like DMs don't go on dives so I have to join another group. Has anyone experienced this? The other option is to pay a guide $60 to go with me, not going to happen.

If you're in the Key Largo area, I would recommend Rainbow Reef. They will offer an in-water guide at no additional charge, though a suitable gratuity is customary.

If you're staying further down the Keys, there are other good charters that may be closer.

The Pennekamp concession operator is ideal for situations where non-divers are part of a group since there are other things to do at the park. I have used them when I've been in that situation, and they're OK.

PenneKamp is a fun dive.... however the vis isn't the greatest.... if you dive there... find the trench... I spent well over 60 minutes diving the trench looking at all the small critters.... there were lobster as well... when I was there vis was maybe 25' . That being said, be careful because when I surfaced at one point I was well outside of the "swim area" and actually into the boating lane...so I went back down and followed the trench back into safe waters.... I really wouldn't ever suggest diving alone... create a post on SB looking for dive buddy.... That being said... Lauderdale by the Sea is AWESOME and you can jump on MeetUp and find groups going almost daily.... It's not KeyLargo... but it is also a shore dive.

I am a little confused by your description of diving in John Pennekamp State Park. Is there a dive called "PenneKamp," too? The Pennekamp State Park I've been in is comprised of many many dives from reefs, to walls, to artificial reefs.

"Out of curiosity what makes them jerks and why can't you simply ignore them"
Years ago my buddy went on a weeknight boat dive, I was stuck with work. They gave him a boat buddy who, for some reason, reached out and pulled the autoinflator on my friend's BC while they were on the bottom. He never found out why. I understand I missed some real choice cuss words that night.
In all the years since, he has gently and simply refused to be "given" a buddy he doesn't know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom