Kauai Suggestions for July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all, I am also going to be there in June/early July. I'm familiar with Bubbles Below and Fathom Five from my last trip maybe ten years ago. At that time, I don't remember anyone diving Napili, although I might just have missed it. How is Napili Coast diving compared to Niihau? Looking at the schedules for the two shops I mentioned, I might not be able to fit in both (family activities preclude diving every day - it happens.) My down days are Thursdays and Fridays. BB schedules Napili on Thursdays, so I may need to figure out who goes on other days. Anthony, we haven't met, but you seem to be a wealth of knowledge. Where are you based out of? Feel free to PM if you think it's more appropriate. Thanks.

Mike

(btw, Avatar pic is from Koloa Landing)

Aloha Mike and thanks for your message here on the board.

Currently (and for many years) Bubbles Below has been the only company diving the Napali Coast (Mana Crack). It depends largely on swell and winds - though more often than not the summer months are very friendly for diving there during the summer months. It's mostly known for it's really cool topography and the beautiful coast line. It can at times have shark sightings but not always. Giant Trevally and other gamefish can commonly be seen there. It is not a location to see monk seals or turtles. In between dives you will more than likely see spinner dolphins (often in the 100's) at you travel closer into the coast. Currents can be quite strong at times and the dive sites do not have moorings so drifts are the norm. More accurately I should say that they are not stationary dives as there are no moorings on the dives. It is really important that divers are comfortable with free descents and ascents. Due to currents that are sometimes quite strong it is at times more advanced diving than Niihau (at least at times) in my humble opinion. If the current is running strong there just isn't really anyway to hide from them with the exception of using topography on the bottom.

The dive schedules are always as concrete as the sites may indicate either. While each company targets 2 different days during the week - they are sometimes changed if a much more desirable condition set is available on another day during the week.

For me, I would say that without question that Niihau is the not to be missed dive of the two. Niihau is in fact the number one reason I live / divemaster on Kauai. There just simply isn't anything compared to it (again - my my humble opinion). It is a once in a lifetime chance for most to dive with the critically endangered monk seal! Sharks are almost always encountered and more often than not you will see 2-3 species. Rays are not uncommon either and sometimes pelagics are seen in the channel during the crossing. I could go on and on - but I'll save that for a specific PM to you if you wish.

I have recently and very excitedly joined the new owners at Bubbles Below and really couldn't be happier and more excited for the operation we have. At the same time I have worked for the other companies that make the crossing and all run a similar and professional charter over to the island. I am more than happy to provide any info you would like on the other operations if it is of help. Everyone gets along pretty well here in the dive community and the DM's leading at Niihau share info and critter finds with each other to maximize enjoyment of divers visiting and making the amazing trip to the island.

If you have specific questions you can PM me as I can respond a little quicker. I'd be happy to help with your diving arrangements no matter who you choose to dive with. Additionally, if I can provide any top side suggestions on activities etc. just let me know.

I hope you are having an exciting time counting down the days for your trip. We've had some spectacular dives this past week and Niihau season is just beginning. Lots of amazing dives ahead for the summer.

Thanks again for your time and message!
Aloha
A

Napali is a stunning dive, particularly at the end of the dive. It’s really cool when you surface and are just hanging out in the water and looking at the coast line. Underwater was cool, we found an ancient Hawaiian octopus lure! Niihau however was some of the finest diving I have ever done, also some of the worst channel conditions in a “small” boat I have encountered. If you can go Niihau is worth it and I’d say over Napali, both are cool however. We went at the very very tail end of Niihau season, so dive conditions were great but channel conditions sucked.

Unreal find on the He'e (octopus) lure! I'd love to see a picture if you still have it. I was fortunate enough to find one myself here on the south side about 6-7 years ago and I about swam out of my wetsuit!!!

I'm glad you mentioned the channel as many divers have no idea what it can be like. It is at time VERY rough and for those that are caught off guard by it - it can be quite memorable. At the same time there are many trips where the crossing isn't bad at all. We encourage divers to take something for seasickness if they think they are even slightly unsure as to their "sea leg status." It's 10 hours on a boat approx.

Hope life brings you back and thanks for the note.
A

Unreal find on the He'e (octopus) lure! I'd love to see a picture if you still have it. I was fortunate enough to find one myself here on the south side about 6-7 years ago and I about swam out of my wetsuit!!!

I'm glad you mentioned the channel as many divers have no idea what it can be like. It is at time VERY rough and for those that are caught off guard by it - it can be quite memorable. At the same time there are many trips where the crossing isn't bad at all. We encourage divers to take something for seasickness if they think they are even slightly unsure as to their "sea leg status." It's 10 hours on a boat approx.

Hope life brings you back and thanks for the note.
A

We left it, figured as an ancient artifact it wasn't our place to take it. Yeah, that channel was brutal. It took us twice as long to return to Port Allen as it did to drive out to Niihau.

Hi, I am also considering diving Ni'ihau in July. However I am also a bit concerned about the time comitment and the $$$. I am from New South Wales AU and we have pretty decent diving here. Nice topography, caves, rocks, colourful sponges, Lots of sharks (some sites like Fish Rock Cave and Broughton Islands have 30-40 Grey Nurse Sharks and others if lucky and tons of fish. I dived with Australian Fur seals many times (up to 20 in the water). So I wonder is it worth the $ and time? Anyone here dived in NSW and can compare it to Ni'ihau? I am pretty intrigued by the visibility (loved a dive off Ohau some time ago) and the Vertical wall and chance to see big pelagics... So I really talked myself into dong it but I still might have to convince the wife. Cheers all T

Guys you need to check out Nick over at Explore Kauai Scuba. Small boat experience working from the West side of the island. It is a RIB but it shortens the ride to Niihau considerably. He also does a Mana crack and Napali coast surface interval tour that is a lot of bang for your buck. I use him as my go-to dive op when I am on Kauai.

I’m in Kauai July 4-20. I’m going to try to off-set my cost w some shore dives if I’m doing Ni’ihau. It looks like Ni’ihau is like a plateau in Galapagos w vertical layers. I’m hoping my resort diver hubby will do a sunrise/night dives at Koloa Landing.

I’m in Kauai July 4-20. I’m going to try to off-set my cost w some shore dives if I’m doing Ni’ihau. It looks like Ni’ihau is like a plateau in Galapagos w vertical layers. I’m hoping my resort diver hubby will do a sunrise/night dives at Koloa Landing.

There's great diving at Koloa Landing for sure. It's easy access and easy navigation. If I can help with any information I am more than happy to help however I can. I'd be happy to even let you borrow some chairs, mat, or cooler for your dives if it would help you out. Koloa has some of the coolest critters you can see while diving Hawaii. Frogfish, scorpion fish, turtles ,octopus, countless eels, shrimp, crabs, horned helmet shells etc...

The best time to dive the landing is early am or mid to late afternoon if you wish to see countless turtles. The night dives are really really cool as well.

I think Niihau is a must do. I am totally biased of course! For me - the chance to dive with a critically endangered marine mammal like the monk seal is priceless. I do of course understand how expensive Hawaii diving is compared to other destinations.

Check out the John Hoover website for fishes of Hawaii, Keoki Stender's marine life photography site and Sea Slugs of Hawaii (Pauline Fiene of Mike Severn's diving) to get an idea of what you can see in Hawaii. I'd also be happy to let you borrow critter books during your stay if interested for critter ID before and after dives.

Happy dive planning and please hit me up if I can help you with anything Kauai!
Cheers
A

I'm glad you mentioned the channel as many divers have no idea what it can be like. It is at time VERY rough and for those that are caught off guard by it - it can be quite memorable.

Appreciate this thread as I will be spending a week in Kapa'a, Kauai in early April next year before hopping over to Oahu for a several days. Seeing that there are seasons for diving different sides of the island is there anytime Niihau is not visited and was wondering about possible conditions crossing the channel in early April.

In checking dive ops in the area, I did see that some ops located around Koloa Landing may visit dive sites near Kapa'a. Any insights to ops that cater to people staying in Kapa'a?

Appreciate this thread as I will be spending a week in Kapa'a, Kauai in early April next year before hopping over to Oahu for a several days. Seeing that there are seasons for diving different sides of the island is there anytime Niihau is not visited and was wondering about possible conditions crossing the channel in early April.

In checking dive ops in the area, I did see that some ops located around Koloa Landing may visit dive sites near Kapa'a. Any insights to ops that cater to people staying in Kapa'a?

East side (Kapa'a) isn't dove much due to the onshore winds. All dive shops are pretty much out of south or west side of the island. There are a few that dive tunnels beach on the north shore, but due to recent flooding isn't being dove this summer since the road is closed to the north past Hanalei.

As for early April diving, south side of the island is almost a sure thing, but any of the north exposure sites(Niihau & Mana Crack/Na Pali) are swell depending. The winter and even spring will have on and off north swells pushing down from the North Pacific which can turn off any of the dives on that side of the island. I'm always watching the swell forecast and try to get out there in between when swells are small or non existent.

If you're looking for the closest dive operations, pretty much every dive shop does the shore dive "Koloa Landing". Fathom Five, Seasports, and Kauai Down Under have boats that leave form the harbor just down the street from there. You then have Garden Island Divers & Bubbles Below about another 15 minutes west of Koloa/Poipu area leaving from Port Allen. "Explore Kauai Scuba" is leaving from the furthest harbor (Kikiaola) from you but is the closest boat time to Niihau and Mana Crack/Na Pali Coast if weather allows.

When going over to Oahu, I'd highly suggest checking out "Kaimana Divers". Small groups and a fun/professional staff that is 2nd to none.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, feel free to message me. I can help with other Kauai suggestions that are non diving related too.

Aloha!
Nick

Back
Top Bottom