Negril Jamaica - Couples Swept Away - Sands Club Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did a single dive while at Couples Swept Away in Negril. Not much to report. Lots of colorful fish and sponges, which I had never seen so many different sponges before. Dive guide speared 3 Lionfish. Would dive with the resort guys again even if a bit short on instructions. There were only 5 divers for a mid-morning dive. Boat had gone out earlier to dive a tug boat wreck. Same people from that dive said it was great, and one couple had been at the resort for a week already and were diving every day with the resort guys.

Did a single dive while at Couples Swept Away in Negril. Not much to report. Lots of colorful fish and sponges, which I had never seen so many different sponges before. Dive guide speared 3 Lionfish. Would dive with the resort guys again even if a bit short on instructions. There were only 5 divers for a mid-morning dive. Boat had gone out earlier to dive a tug boat wreck. Same people from that dive said it was great, and one couple had been at the resort for a week already and were diving every day with the resort guys.
how long and deep? did you have to stay with a DM?

Yes. They are generally group dives. They dive until somebody calls 700psi. Usually 50 minutes a dive.

They do two dives a day. One OW. One AOW. Except for Saturday, when they do a two tank OW dive.

They're a great crew. The diving is all included in the all-inclusive costs. The only thing that they charge for is training and wetsuit rental.

IMG_0298.JPG

Just as Jason said. We were right at 50 minutes, and we touched 53ft at that site. Water temp was low 80s. We followed the DM, but he didn't hawk over anyone and calmly checked with everyone being OK. I would also mention that the boat pictured in Jason's post IS the boat for CSA resort. It is the largest/nicest/fastest/roomiest/easiest-in&out dive boat of all the other dive boats that I'd seen up and down the Negril coast.

We've stayed in the Negril area, and dived 4 out of the five trips (and snorkeled on the one non-dive trip). First time was 2003, most recent was August 2016.

We've come to really appreciate the dive environment, which we've seen improve every return trip. Not a lot of big schools (nor even big fish), but the reefs are very healthy and colorful, with (as you noted) a wide variety of corals and sponges.

Negril is quite nice . I agree nothing big but very colorful sponges and a wide
variety of smaller schooling fish with the occasional ray . Sandals does have
a deeper dive in the morning , usually a drift at 70' and yes it is guided as all
of their trips are .
Sea Dwellers
www.seadwellers.com

Hi, have read a good bit here past few days, first post; couple of questions. We are staying Samsura cliffs negril 4 days in july (family wedding, not our choice as to resort !) and 3 days couples swept away. The four days we are not in CSA, can anyone recomend a negril dive shop to dive out of ? While wife Kids & extended family are there those days, I'm the only diver. I emailed Samsura with no response, other than it's off season. I'm PADI open water cert but no dive expert (maybe 10 dives total, recently took refesher class), understand the diving there is marginal etc; just enjoy group dives. I have mask/fins/snorkel but otherwise rent.

Another question. @csa- my wife never got certified and did a couple of small dives (all at Caneel Bay st. john...RIP). Will she be able to do the CSA afternoon dive? has no equipment what so ever, think 2001 was her last dive).

any/all observations thoughts replies very much appreciated thanks!!!!!

". . .understand the diving there is marginal etc;

While I can't help you much on everything you have asked about - we've been there four (or five) times, and have stayed each time at Couples Negril; I would like to go on record as not agreeing with the urban (Caribbean?) legend that diving, especially in the Negril area "is marginal".

As I probably pointed out above (and elsewhere), we've been going there since 2003; and what we have experienced is continuous improvement of both reef health and fish populations.

Sorry I can't help you with a dive op recommendation, when we go back in December 2019, we'll be using the Couples Negril on-site service.

Hi, have read a good bit here past few days, first post; couple of questions. We are staying Samsura cliffs negril 4 days in july (family wedding, not our choice as to resort !) and 3 days couples swept away. The four days we are not in CSA, can anyone recomend a negril dive shop to dive out of ? While wife Kids & extended family are there those days, I'm the only diver. I emailed Samsura with no response, other than it's off season. I'm PADI open water cert but no dive expert (maybe 10 dives total, recently took refesher class), understand the diving there is marginal etc; just enjoy group dives. I have mask/fins/snorkel but otherwise rent.

Another question. @csa- my wife never got certified and did a couple of small dives (all at Caneel Bay st. john...RIP). Will she be able to do the CSA afternoon dive? has no equipment what so ever, think 2001 was her last dive).

They have all equipment. If she has a mask, she should take it. But they'll have one if she doesn't. If she wants to do the resort dive, she'll fill out the health questionnaire and do some pool work first thing in the morning then she'll go out on the morning dive.

For the thread data, I have traded emails with Marine Life Divers in Negril and they seem pretty on-the-ball and want the business. I also traded a few emails with Negril Adventure Diving and they were kinda...meh.

if anybody else has expereince(s) holler, I will post a follow-up review. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom