Eon Core vs DSAT computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkandls

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can you please tell me how close is the EON Core in it's most conservative mode to that of computers using the DSAT ( Oceanic ) ? thank you

they won't tell you, a. they don't post on here anymore, b. it's a proprietary algorithm, c. they don't care how it compares to another manufacturer.

Divelab has done some rudimentary testing, but it is unlikely that it will be exactly as you want it.

We are not allowed to discuss other computers as it is Suunto's forum, but I do believe there are better and cheaper options than the computer you mentioned out there that I would urge you to look at unless you get key man pricing on their computers

Can you please tell me how close is the EON Core in it's most conservative mode to that of computers using the DSAT ( Oceanic ) ? thank you

Pretty easy to get a rough estimate.

Compare PADI RDP tables, to DM5 software

Using the RDP 25m gives you 29 minutes (on air)

Using DM5 at +2 (The most conservative) The Eon calls Deco at 23:30

With the Settings at -2 (Most aggressive) the Eon calls Deco at 32mins

At 18m - RDP give 72 mins - Eon gives 61 @-2 or 44 @ +2

Going deeper to 40m RDP says 9 mins. Eon gives you 9 mins at +2 and 12 mins@-2

DSAT gives you more time when your shallow

when you go deeper then The Eon switches from plain old RGBM to Fused RGBM

@scubadada has way more experience than I with DSAT

Edit: This are just my comparisons between tables and DM5. It's not a definitive example and shoudl be only taken as a rough guide.

PPS I've had the Eon for 4 years and treat it hard. I've never found it lacking on dives down to 50m or when it's in baby mode when I'm guiding

Last edited:
Hi @jkandls

I was going to suggest @Diving Dubai as a resource as he has the experience with an Eon Steel. It's my impression that the Eons are a little more aggressive than DSAT when set at their most liberal, -2. Using Martin's numbers with the closest I could find for DSAT for 1st air dive:

Eon and DSAT at 18m 61/59 minutes
Eon at 25m, DSAT at 24m 32/32 minutes
Eon at 40m, DSAT at 39m 12/11 minutes.

What you really want is repetitive dive data, I don't think the Eons have ever been tested by ScubaLab. Regular Suunto computers come out looking relatively conservative. DSAT and Buhlmann ZH-L16C at both 45/95 and 40/85 were tested by ScubaLab in 2017 (link to the hyperbaric chamber results in the article 11 New Dive Computers Tested By ScubaLab In 2017). I believe Martin has some experience diving his Eon along with a Shearwater for comparison.

So, I think the answer to your question is that the Eon Core, in its most conservative setting, is considerably more conservative than DSAT

Pretty easy to get a rough estimate.

Compare PADI RDP tables, to DM5 software

Using the RDP 25m gives you 29 minutes (on air)

Using DM5 at +2 (The most conservative) The Eon calls Deco at 23:30

With the Settings at -2 (Most aggressive) the Eon calls Deco at 32mins

At 18m - RDP give 72 mins - Eon gives 61 @-2 or 44 @ +2

Going deeper to 40m RDP says 9 mins. Eon gives you 9 mins at +2 and 12 mins@-2

DSAT gives you more time when your shallow

when you go deeper then The Eon switches from plain old RGBM to Fused RGBM

@scubadada has way more experience than I with DSAT

Edit: This are just my comparisons between tables and DM5. It's not a definitive example and shoudl be only taken as a rough guide.

PPS I've had the Eon for 4 years and treat it hard. I've never found it lacking on dives down to 50m or when it's in baby mode when I'm guiding

thank you all, and yes I was looking for data on week long repetitive diving too. So happens I am considering the Shearwater too.

thank you all, and yes I was looking for data on week long repetitive diving too. So happens I am considering the Shearwater too.

once you dig in, it shouldn't be that difficult of a decision....

Unlike some of the contributors here, I've dived both.

If you put the hyperbole to one side, you'll find the Eon and It's main competitor are very competent machines.

If you are involved in Serious technical diving, then I would obviously suggest the competitor, because having like for like machines with your team is a distinct advantage.

However for "lite" tech dives, I can adequately plan across computers. By Lite I mean to 50m, with less than 20 mins mixed gas deco.

For repetitive diving. The Eon is fine. I've used it for 3 week trips, doing 3 - 4 dives a day with most dives heading towards the 30-40m depths whilst having a 1 hr dive time. It has't limited me and I've never been running out of NDL before other people.

Then you come down to form factor. Without a doubt the Eon has the best screen and best display full stop. You can choose Classic (just numerical display) or graphical. And there are a couple of different types of graphical to choose from depending on your tastes.

It can run more than 2 transmitters, however it can only display one at a time

You decide whether you like the 2 button interface or the 3 of the Eon

Some people prefer usable changeable batteries, others prefer rechargeable

And of course the price in your region.

Having dived both, a number of times, for me the Shearwater still doesn't offer me enough advantages to make me want to change. It's a great computer for sure, but there are too many things I prefer with the Eon that I'd be reluctant to give up.

Fortunately for me the price of a computer isn't an issue, but I know that if I invested in a Perdix for instance it would stay in its case 90% of the time.

But everyone is different. I don't push people one way or the other, just suggest people weigh up all the options and make a decision based upon what they feel is important, and their preferences.

@Diving Dubai and what makes you think we haven't used them? I haven't used the core, but I have used the steel, and while it works fine as a computer, the price in the US is too painful to even consider them, ignoring their algorithm issues

Unlike some of the contributors here, I've dived both.

If you put the hyperbole to one side, you'll find the Eon and It's main competitor are very competent machines.

If you are involved in Serious technical diving, then I would obviously suggest the competitor, because having like for like machines with your team is a distinct advantage.

However for "lite" tech dives, I can adequately plan across computers. By Lite I mean to 50m, with less than 20 mins mixed gas deco.

For repetitive diving. The Eon is fine. I've used it for 3 week trips, doing 3 - 4 dives a day with most dives heading towards the 30-40m depths whilst having a 1 hr dive time. It has't limited me and I've never been running out of NDL before other people.

Then you come down to form factor. Without a doubt the Eon has the best screen and best display full stop. You can choose Classic (just numerical display) or graphical. And there are a couple of different types of graphical to choose from depending on your tastes.

It can run more than 2 transmitters, however it can only display one at a time

You decide whether you like the 2 button interface or the 3 of the Eon

Some people prefer usable changeable batteries, others prefer rechargeable

And of course the price in your region.

Having dived both, a number of times, for me the Shearwater still doesn't offer me enough advantages to make me want to change. It's a great computer for sure, but there are too many things I prefer with the Eon that I'd be reluctant to give up.

Fortunately for me the price of a computer isn't an issue, but I know that if I invested in a Perdix for instance it would stay in its case 90% of the time.

But everyone is different. I don't push people one way or the other, just suggest people weigh up all the options and make a decision based upon what they feel is important, and their preferences.

Good info - I am no longer working as a DM, all my diving is now liveaboards & resorts since I just moved to Colorado. $$ is not a factor as I want something I can see clearly and allows me to dive 4-5 x a day. I have no need to see a 2nd transmitter. I like the fact it is rechargeable, no o-rings to worry about. My diving as always been very aggressive / liberal, so as I get older, I'm okay with a slight amount more of conservatism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom