Cost of cylinders in the United States

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The higher duties on steel & aluminum imports into the US are mostly on unfinished goods (bar stock or such, that can be made into the finished product here in the US), although things like pipe and wire are included. Finished goods are mostly not included under the higher duty rates at this time. So, foreign country of origin tanks imported into the US, no additional duty (on top of what is already specified in the HTSUS).

I deal with imports on the job. Steel tanks are currently duty free. Aluminum tanks have a duty of 5%

All aluminum tanks? Or just from certain countries of origin?

Where are tanks made overseas? The 5% doesn't apply for countries that get preferential duty treatment. NAFTA applies, as does GSP, and a number of FTAs. But there are no FTAs for the major European countries, although a number of former Soviet Bloc countries fall under GSP.

If you don't want to be affected by the increased duties, buy used tanks.
I would but my luck seems short finding the sizes I want. They are usually gone before I can get my hands on them and being in the middle of the country i don’t come across those sizes often.

Where are tanks made overseas? The 5% doesn't apply for countries that get preferential duty treatment. NAFTA applies, as does GSP, and a number of FTAs. But there are no FTAs for the major European countries, although a number of former Soviet Bloc countries fall under GSP.

Faber are made in Italy, no ?

Would Russia fall under former Soviet Block with GSP?

Luxfer has facilities all over the world so I assume all of our Luxfers are made in the States, but where they source aluminium from I have no idea. There is another company making AL cylinders now but I’ve only seen them in smaller capacities and I’m unsure where they are made.

Faber are made in Italy, no ?

Would Russia fall under former Soviet Block with GSP?

No FTA for goods with COO of Italy.

Russia was removed from GSP several years ago.

Luxfer has facilities all over the world so I assume all of our Luxfers are made in the States, but where they source aluminium from I have no idea. There is another company making AL cylinders now but I’ve only seen them in smaller capacities and I’m unsure where they are made.
Catalina aluminum cylinders are made in Virginia and California.

I'm not in manufacturing, but below is my estimate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Aluminum is going for about $1 a pound. An Al80 uses about 30 lbs of aluminum. A 10% tariff would mean an increase of about $3 per cylinder.

Catalina aluminum cylinders are made in Virginia and California.
I forgot about Catalina, but I do remember we don’t use them as they are more buoyant empty. The other manufacturer I was thinking of is Metal Impact which is out of Illinois, so if they are taking a $3 hit we can expect about a $10-30 hit on the consumer end if they are importing aluminum that’s subject to tariffs.

Last edited:
I forgot about Catalina, but I do remember we don’t use them as they are more buoyant empty. The other manufacturer I was thinking of is Metal Impact which is out of Illinois, so if they are taking a $3 hit we can expect about a $10-30 hit on the consumer end if they are importing aluminum that’s subject to tariffs.
The Catalinas are actually slightly less bouyant than the Luxfers, at least according to the manufacturers specifications:
High Pressure Aluminum Gas Cylinders | Composite Cylinders - SCUBA Aluminum Cylinders | Composite Cylinders | Impact Extrusions
L6X® aluminium SCUBA cylinders

I don't understand where you are calculating a $10-30 markup to the consumer. Why would the cylinders be marked up $10-30 for a simple $3 increase in the cost of raw materials? That should be a simple pass through cost to the end user.

Back
Top Bottom