Aqualung’s ACD - safe or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What concerns me the most is that if the factory couldn't get the ACD properly torqued on a consistent basis (I assume this is the case because the recall only applied to regs that had not had an annual or other service), how do they expect the international army of LDS-employed Aqualung technicians not to make the same error at some point. Does anyone honestly think they are all using properly calibrated torque wrenches? It seems to me it's a problem waiting to happen due to a device that is not at all necessary.

Even though they changed the dust cap so it doesn't push the part down that lets the air in, I don't particularly care for the as they always let water in. Ice always seen water damage on the inside of all acd's. I use my thumb or a pressurized cylinder th rinse my regs.

I have reviewed the latest documentation (Oct 2017), and there have been no changes to the parts in question. The only change was a change in the torque setting of the ACD's shutter valve after the reported loosening. Therefore, my recommendation to any of you that are concerned is similar to that noted above: Check for a loose yoke bolt (see attached Service Bulletin). Whether or not it is loose, if you are concerned, take your reg to the shop. See if they are familiar with Service Bulletin #47. Have the Yoke mount disassembled and the shutter valve torqued properly (especially if you are concerned about the quality of service from a prior shop). End of issue.

Attachments

• SE_AQ_TB47_ACD_053117.pdf
    270.2 KB · Views: 140
  • SE_AQ_egend_1StgSchematic_rev10_17.pdf
    755.2 KB · Views: 310
Sorry to bring this up once again. I am looking into a Legend ACD DIN, but will probably use it mostly with Yoke valves (South America), so with an adapter. What is the likelihood of the shutoff problem happening?

No announcement, but the part underwent a running change a few months ago. It now has a small ridge across the top so that if it does come loose there is no perfectly round edge to seal against a valve face.
If it was me, I would be fine with the purchase. In fact I dive a Legend LX yoke with ACD.
No harm though in making sure the unit you buy has the newer version of the part, could still be some older stock out on the shelf.

No announcement, but the part underwent a running change a few months ago. It now has a small ridge across the top so that if it does come loose there is no perfectly round edge to seal against a valve face.
If it was me, I would be fine with the purchase. In fact I dive a Legend LX yoke with ACD.
No harm though in making sure the unit you buy has the newer version of the part, could still be some older stock out on the shelf.

Thanks Jack! I will ask the dealer whether the Legend LX ACD is the updated version.

They may not even know, as there was no communication regarding a part change. I just discovered it had happened when I reviewed some of my stock items. Here is a photo of the new part. Only the top of this part is visible once assembled. In the photo, it is laying on its side, with the top facing the right. Old version is a perfectly flat disc, the new part has a raised ridge running down the center of the flat disc, seen here as that bright line.
upload_2019-1-22_21-9-18.png

What concerns me the most is that if the factory couldn't get the ACD properly torqued on a consistent basis (I assume this is the case because the recall only applied to regs that had not had an annual or other service), how do they expect the international army of LDS-employed Aqualung technicians not to make the same error at some point.

I think it was an automated assembly machine that was set to the wrong torque. I don't know if that makes it better or worse in your view, but for me that makes it more understandable. And that is pretty good record keeping, to discover it and then be able to backtrack and determine what range of serial numbers were potentially affected.

They may not even know, as there was no communication regarding a part change. I just discovered it had happened when I reviewed some of my stock items. Here is a photo of the new part. Only the top of this part is visible once assembled. In the photo, it is laying on its side, with the top facing the right. Old version is a perfectly flat disc, the new part has a raised ridge running down the center of the flat disc, seen here as that bright line.
View attachment 500821

That's interesting hard to tell from a photo how larg that is...If it closed do you think the reg would be able to deliver enough air at 100 or 130 feet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom