Transplate, transpack , or basic harness and why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I want to use a backplate for numerous reasons. Now, what do you recommend between the many options dive rite offers? and why would it be better?

I dont do cave or wreck diving, I am not very flexible altough working on it, and I dive about 50 times a year. I do mostly recreationnal dives either from a boat or shore and use a drysuit.

Thanks,

Eric

I have a Transpac and a Transplate. The Transpac gets the grab most of the time, especially for travel. Even with Aluminum 100's or steel hp120's, I don't find the Transpac unstable. I have the Transplate set up with larger weight pockets so I have a chilly Willy dive coming up soon and I will probably take it just to hold 18-20 pounds easier with my 7.5 mil wetsuit. Chilly by Southern standards....not the frozen wastelands you Canucks dive.

I put both together from used or Black Friday/clearance deals so fianancially im not out much on either. If I had to choose one....I'd go with the Transpac but I really can't argue one over the other. The Transpac seems to be a little more comfortable.... maybe....I think....sort of...

I have a wrecked shoulder and the quick release shoulder straps help when my shoulder reminds me of a rough and glorious childhood. (Picture the 12 year old kid with a black eye, missing a tooth, skinned up from head to toe, t shirt and jeans ripped....and grinning from ear to ear....that was me until I was in my late 20's). I see your diving dry and cold. A stainless Backplate with a weighted sta would take some weight off the belt and or trim pockets...advantage Transplate. Deep Sea Supply has a Glide adapter that makes a regular harness easier to get out of as well...just to throw another option at you but I think they are shut down for a bit...something about a move to Utah...or alien abduction...or something like that.

They are set up identical other than the weight pockets so accessories are in the same place on both. The lower holes on the Backplate are easier to hit with double snap with my SMB/reel. Both are great. You will be happy with either. I've never dove with your weight requirements....I'd lean towards a Transplate with a heavy Backplate....but I'm a tropical diver so I don't have any "real world" experience with a drysuit and cold water.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but they really 6 of one...half a dozen of the other. Whatever you pick, once you have it set up for you and exactly how you want it, donning your gear is like slipping on your favorite boots.

Good luck,
Jay

Have 2 transpacs, sold a transplate, and at least 3 one-piece harnesses. If you are diving with a wetsuit at least 5mm or thicker, then just get a one-piece. Easier to get into and out of and the suits provide more than enough padding. If you are diving in less than 5mm and don't have to hike, get a one-piece harness.
If you have to hike a bunch, get a Transplate and a SS plate with a backpad.

With a drysuit, for mostly boat, shore diving, just get a single piece. The others will be wasted considering what they were designed to do

@wardric Another choice is to get something like the Dive Rite deluxe harness. It is only slightly more expensive than a 1-piece harness. If you decide you do not like it you can buy some webbing and reuse the hardware so you won't lose much.

If you, like the Transpac concept, are looking for flexibility, and willing to step away from DR, another option would be an OMS IQ backpack It is very similar to a Transpac, but you can slip a plate inside in moments if you want more weight, stability or to run doubles. No need to duplicate or swap rigging/components/accessories for most different configurations.

I stumbled across mine on CraigsList in a package deal. Seller used to ice-dive (dry) with it in the Saint Lawrence.

I use a variety of plates with the Diverite Transplate Harness.

Mine is 7 years old, and I just ordered a replacement harness about an hour ago. I tend to lift the bcd with a steel 108 tank attached by one strap when I don the gear. Even with that extreme weight, I've never had any of the buckles come apart. I am replacing it because the webbing is getting pretty ratty and I'm sure the plastic buckles will eventually give.

I've got a steel diverite backplate, a plastic diverite backplate (not sure they sell these anymore) and an apeks aluminum plate. Although I've used it on all three, I put a "hogarthian" harness onto the plastic plate a couple years ago so I don't use the transplate with that backplate anymore.

I REALLY like the transplate setup over a basic hogarthian harness. If you carry your tank on the bcd for any distance (shore diving for example), the shoulder pads are fantastic. The quick release buckles on the shoulder straps are nice, and the whole thing is far easier to adjust than a standard hogarthian. You'll probably want to adjust if you switch exposure protection much. For example, in springs I use either 7mm wetsuit or a drysuit. When I go to Cozumel I dive with a skin or just shorts. You could leave a hogarthian rigged for the biggest option and just have it be a little loose when in warmer water. Or you could go to the trouble of re-adjusting the hogarthian. It's just super easy to do with the transplate harness. Takes about 2 seconds literally.

When I use aluminum tanks, I also have to carry weights. I got the diverite ditchable weight pouches for that. I hate weight belts, they are sucktacular imo.

Hogarthian is definitely far cheaper, you could probably get the webbing and hardware for $50, and plates generally are $100 or less for most plates. Many believe hogarthian is superior for various reasons. I simply disagree.

I use a diverite rec exp wing. It's got a replaceable bladder (I've had to replace it once in the 7 years, under $100) and I've replaced the power inflator a few times (currently I'm using an AIR2). The wing I've got is actually far larger than I need. Sooner or later, I'll get around to ordering a smaller wing to reduce drag. It's supposed to be a "singles/doubles" wing but I think it might be a little on the small side for backmount doubles, and it's a bit on the large side for single tanks.

Thanks everyone for all your awesome answers.

I tought the Transpac was used with a backplate too like with the transplate.

To be more precise, I bought a backplate (steel) and a single tank adapter along with a wing and a basic harness a few years ago. Never got the time to set it up and the last few years were slow on diving for numerous reasons including the passing of one of my best buddies. But now, the oldest of my son being certified, I will start doing more dives and want to use my backplate to reduce the weight on my belt. With the drysuit, I have to use between 30 and 34 pounds. with 10 pounds in weight pockets, it still leaves 20-24 pounds on my belt and my back is not what it used to be. Plus, I can lend my bcd to my son so less money to invest :) Add to that using a steel tank instead of an aluminum one, I know I could reduce significantly the weight on my belt.

So knowing the transpac is not something I can use with a backplate, the transplate might be a better choice. I know I could use a basic or deluxe harness but I want something easy and fast to adjust (I still dive with a wetsuit 7mm or 3mm in tropical destinations, or shorts and t-shirt) so that is why I think I might appreciate the quick releases on the transplate. Or the OMS IQ like suggested by JD.

Am I on the right track or am I missing something here?

Thank again all.

@wardric
for that much lead, get a weight harness. I'd also look at a weighted STA to try to move the mass to the rig. Also get steel, 6lbs off the belt with no dry land weight penalty for the smaller tanks

for the transplate, if you want one, get one. They have closeouts on red and blue in most of the sizes. Only size difference is the length of the shoulder pads.
Large - Dive Rite Transplate Harness - Red -Large

to take off weight on the belt, I plan using a steel 100 tank, a steel backplate and single tank adapter plus my 2 weight pockets (5+5). So there shouldn't be much left on the belt.

Just need a rig easy to get in and out and comfy.

+1 on the weight harness. Look at the DUI weight & trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom