The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silly question I know - maybe I should wait for the manual

But does it have a timer/stopwatch in dive mode?

I want a watch computer for teaching and would rather this than a Suunto D6 or D4

@Shearwater Nice second video especially making the point of larger fonts. I'll have to see it in person - preferably before my 2nd coffee

However I like the rechargeable battery and four button menu. It's what I'm used too.

It might be the computer to move me from my Eon

Technology wise, could the pressure sensor also work as an altimeter? Like a Suunto?

It is possible to use the pressure sensor for an altimeter. This is a very common usage of pressure sensors, and the math is fairly straightforward. My issue with using barometric pressure for altitude is that frequent reference altitudes need be to supplied to account for variations to pressure due to weather. This tends to be more of a hassle than a benefit. Or, if only approximate altitude is needed, the variations weather can be ignored. I'll add it to the feature suggestion list, but cannot promise that it will be included.

Best regards,
Tyler

Reactions: Jay
But does it have a timer/stopwatch in dive mode?
Hi Diving Dubai,

Yes, the stopwatch (count up) is available in Dive mode. The stopwatch can be assigned to the FUNC button. Or can be accessed in the "Dive Tools" menu. The stopwatch can also be configured to be on the main screen.

The timer (count down with alarm at 0) is only in the Watch mode. However, if you have already started a timer running before a dive, it will alarm during the dive. It is easily cleared with 1 button press. The same goes for alarm clocks. They will alarm during a dive, but are easily cleared.

Best regards,
Tyler
Shearwater Research

@tcoen
On the Petrel 2 (not sure about Perdix), the timer can be configured to be displayed in the middle row on Tec Mode. It's accessed very quickly with two presses on the left button and one press on the right button. Very handy and easy to activate. I use this feature a lot. On the Teric, can the timer be displayed on the main screen? How many button presses before activating it?

Another question, is GF99 still available or is it replaced by GF Surface Value?

Disregard; likely an internet cache coherence problem or something.

Last edited:
Lovely as it looks - my eyes are too old for this.

I just bought a Perdix AI to replace a 2006-vintage watch-style AI computer that was perfectly fine except that I basically can't see it anymore. I never really could see it using its backlight, and on night dives had to angle my light just right to be able to see the face without glare from the glass.

A few days after getting the Perdix, I spent a couple of weeks diving in Cozumel and have been extremely happy with the Perdix AI. It's a much better computer overall (duh), but as I said my old one met my recreational open-circuit nitrox needs apart from legibility. I found the Perdix AI highly legible under all conditions and very easy to use (including the "oh, crap - I forgot to set my nitrox mix!" moment as I hit 10 feet on my descent, which would not have been fixable during the dive with my old computer). I like those big buttons, even though I don't dive with gloves.

From the pictures I think Shearwater appear to have done a great job organizing how information is displayed on a smaller, round screen and suspect I'd find the AMOLED display legible underwater. It's significantly less tiny than my old watch-style computer, which I think is a good thing. It's still not something I can envision my wife wearing out to the chicken coop, though.

As much as I love toys, especially dive toys, I personally think I won't be replacing my Perdix with the Teric for several reasons:

• It's still a smaller screen, as well laid-out and visible as that might be
  • The buttons are smaller to fiddle with
  • There are twice as many buttons to fiddle with
  • Charging is appealing, but
    • That means I either need to travel with a charger or buy one for the US and one for Cozumel (where electrical things don't survive well)
    • I love the idea of worldwide-available AA batteries, of which I can have a fresh spare in my save-a-dive kit
  • It looks nice, but there's really no chance I'd use it to replace any of my everyday watches
    • I really don't wear a watch these days, and I have some really nice ones
    • When I was using a watch-sized computer, I never wore it around Cozumel because it was my dive computer
    • Cheap, tough watches are readily available. A replacement computer with my current tissue status is not.
While it's just fun stuff and not important for diving, the different colo(u)red bands and matching faces are kind of cute. The advantage of charging over those easy-to-replace AA's is I can't screw up a battery replacement and flood the computer (but I still don't want to have to get another charger for Cozumel).

I think there is a market for this sort of thing. If I didn't already have a Perdix, I'd probably give the Teric a serious look. My wife really liked the Perdix, but it's really big on her arm so she might prefer the smaller form-factor of the Teric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom