BC service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Always soak and rinse all our equipment after each dive, long soak, rinse and clean after a trip. My wife and dive buddy has a Bio Life travel bc that she loves, it is about 3 years old and has around 200 dives on it ( I know basically brand new but we don't get to dive but on vacations). The power inflator stuck once on our last trip to Bonaire. This occurred as we were kitting up so it was not a danger. 15 dives later and never had a problem. Thinking about taking it to our lds for service and wondered if an annual service is needed for a bc? We have our regs done every year but maybe the bc should also be serviced also. Do you get your bc serviced and how often? Tanks Bill

I had this problem with a Dive Rite TravelPac BCD that I used to meticulously rinse out after each trip.
The power inflator button became a little sticky so I pulled out the core using that special tool Dive Gear Express sells... was horrified to see the level of corrosion in there!
Too far gone to be properly fixed so I just replaced the whole module, and bought one of those BC power flush connectors for the garden hose. Been fine ever since.
So in your case I'd say it would benefit from a strip down, clean and new o-ring kit fitted... with the power rinse used from then on I think it would only need a service every 2-3 years.

you can service them, couple videos online I think @cool_hardware52 has one on the Deep Sea Supply website, but at $15 to get a new one from DGX, just buy a new one. Repairing them is a bit of a pain.
While you're at it, I would get one of the flushing tools that Deep Sea Supply sells or something similar that will push clean water thru the inflator

Anybody with a small amount of technical nous can service a BC. Unscrew the dumps, clean, inspect and reassemble. It is easy enough to strip a power inflator; strip, inspect, clean and reassemble. If anything looks wrong, they are easy enough to swap.

Very timely thread :wink:
Anyone know where to source the large circular rubber seal from an older Scubapro BC power inflator manual button?
The o-ring is easy, just a -008 70 but that large circular moulded rubber seal has me stumped... it has raised sides and is co-moulded over a stainless washer.
Over time under spring compression against the inflator housing the seal has sheared in places and is leaking a little... just enough to be really annoying!

Scubapro inflator button parts.jpg

Flush out the inflator side with the hose attachment device is the easiest and most simple way. The exhaust side will be fine since you will most likely be filling and dumping with fresh water though it to clean out the bladder. The manufacturer or company that sold you the BC should be able to provide you tools and service parts for it. The 1st time you disassemble an inflator it will most likely be difficult as most manufacturers use red loctite on the threads just to be sure they stay put. You can choose to put it back again or not.
DO NOT over lubricate O-rings inside your inflator since there is a good chance that a lot of very fine sand and debris will get in there during dives and excess lubricant acts as a sponge to collect all of it. Only use enough lubricant to make the O-ring shiny and work smoothly.

I had a problem with the inflator years ago and got a new one from the shop. I had a tiny hole in the back (that someone else pointed out during a dive, or it still may be there). I patched it with AquaSeal, that stuff for wetsuit hole repairs.
My BC is old & decrepid--I'd buy a new one, but almost all my dives are in the 30' range. After a dive I empty as much salt water out, then add a touch of baby shampoo and much fresh water to the inside. Swish around, dump out and continue to dump the water next day or two.
I have never had my BC serviced. I believe a majority of divers don't have it serviced as long as it works.

WD40, or any petrochemical compound, is a bad idea where there are assorted rubber and elastomer parts. Petrochemicals attack them and break them down. Better to use a "dry PTFE" film or McLube Sailkote (pricey but good) which should not attack anything.

I was taught to use fresh water to clean out everything including my BC hose and bladder, and that's a RFPITA but it seems to have kept everything in good working order.

Taking gear to a shop for annual service...eh. The vast majority of shops are distracted and just do what they please, not necessarily what you've asked or wanted. If I can DIY, at least I know who to blame when there's a problem.

Back
Top Bottom