Bag drag home, stay in Cancun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problem with using Mayair is carry on size is smaller then normal. Then with the weight of carry on at 11 lbs that's another challenge. Checked baggage at 44 lbs is doable but not for most traveling with dive gear? Cost per pound in excess is $5.80 dollars per pound.

I'm going with the bag drag and staying over night in Cancun. Someone on this forum recommended Hotel Caribe Cancun it is directly across from the ADO terminal with a pool and restaurant. I was able to book it for $50 a night. I would of had to pay that staying in Cozumel anyways.

This way I can sleep in and have less stress getting to the airport. I hope haha :)

I'll post my experience when I return.

You might consider a Mayair flight on your departure day. It will cost about the same amount as ferry+bus+ hotel and its a 15 min flight. I think first departure is 8 or 9 am which puts you in CUN in plenty of time.

You can't subtract the cost of hotel in Cun without adding back the cost of hotel in Coz. He has to stay somewhere.

Good luck keepdiving!

For reference, I just got back from a bag drag where I left Cozumel in the morning and easily made a 12:15-ish flight from Cancun.

Took the 7am ferry (actually left about 7:10am, there is an earlier one at 5:45am), which arrived in Playa del Carmen about 7:45. Could have made the 8:00 ADO bus (was waiting in the departure area for about 10 min when it pulled out), but had booked an 8:15 ticket the night before at the ADO office on Cozumel. Arrived Cancun airport terminal 3 by 9:15 - the bus actually stopped at Terminals 2 and 4 first. Despite what seemed like crazy long check in lines, bag was checked in with the airline by 9:40 and going through security took about 15-20 minutes.

Good luck keepdiving!

For reference, I just got back from a bag drag where I left Cozumel in the morning and easily made a 12:15-ish flight from Cancun.

Took the 7am ferry (actually left about 7:10am, there is an earlier one at 5:45am), which arrived in Playa del Carmen about 7:45. Could have made the 8:00 ADO bus (was waiting in the departure area for about 10 min when it pulled out), but had booked an 8:15 ticket the night before at the ADO office on Cozumel. Arrived Cancun airport terminal 3 by 9:15 - the bus actually stopped at Terminals 2 and 4 first. Despite what seemed like crazy long check in lines, bag was checked in with the airline by 9:40 and going through security took about 15-20 minutes.
That's one more reason I fly direct even though it's more expensive. I don't worry about packing until the day I depart and as long as I leave the hotel by 10:30AM I have no trouble making my flight. That, and the fact that my arriving flight gets me to my hotel shortly after noon gives me almost a whole 'nother day on the island. What's that worth?

IMO, no one "needs" to fly direct to CZM... ;-)

That's one more reason I fly direct even though it's more expensive. I don't worry about packing until the day I depart and as long as I leave the hotel by 10:30AM I have no trouble making my flight. That, and the fact that my arriving flight gets me to my hotel shortly after noon gives me almost a whole 'nother day on the island. What's that worth?

It's not worth the $500 premium that can be had by flying direct from Atlanta, at least not to me. However, I will be taking advantage of the low ff mile price on my upcoming trip. 26,000 miles and about $87 in taxes and fees (reimbursed by Amex). I didn't even look at the mileage price to go into CUN.

Everyone's situation, financial and locational, is different, of course.

I was considering a trip down the coast from Cancun again but ran into an offer from AA to Cozumel RT for $313 from DFW in July. Couldn't pass it up. Haven't been in several years. The Love Boat crowd was discouraging. Cozumel here I come!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom