Kalimantan - Maratua - Nabucco island resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did either of you notice trash in or on top of the water to any appreciable extent in Nabucco?

We are thinking of inviting a friend that is a snorkeler, but not a diver. Do you think this would work for her?

Thanks,

Bill

You can snorkel in Kakaban jellyfish lake, in Sangalaki for manta and around NIR on high tide. Snorkeling in NIR is not as good as its sister resort, Nunukan Island Resort (NIR2), Welcome to paradise

I would suggest if you bring snorkeller friend to Maratua Atoll is to stay in NIR2. However, it may take a bit longer of a boat ride to dive in Big Fish Country Dive site from Nunukan (30 minutes of speed boat ride).

Don’t remember seeing much trash there when I was there 4 years ago.

41F46CC3-0B2E-494D-AAA2-EDBBAF65AA67.jpeg

Last edited:
We're heading to Nabucco this November. We wanted a 10-day stay but that would involve one way on the 3 - 4 hour boat ride. Has anyone been on this boat? Any comments on the ride?

We have done 3 - 4 hour rides from / to Misool and they suck (for me, since I'm 1.98m with a bad back). Always dreading them especially if there would be high seas.

- Bill

Unfortunately it would be about the same or may be worse, Bill. I went to MER in 2013 & NIR in 2014. Hopefully things change for the better by now.

Enjoy NIR. Don’t miss the Big Fish Country (The Channel), Sangalaki & Kakaban. See if they can stop by in one of the Bagan for whalesharks.

Unfortunately it would be about the same or may be worse, Bill. I went to MER in 2013 & NIR in 2014. Hopefully things change for the better by now.

Enjoy NIR. Don’t miss the Big Fish Country (The Channel), Sangalaki & Kakaban. See if they can stop by in one of the Bagan for whalesharks.

Was it the same size boat as for MER? Also maybe half the trip to MER is between some islands so it's pretty likely to be calm. What about the Borneo waters there?

They said they would not do the bagans.

Was it the same size boat as for MER? Also maybe half the trip to MER is between some islands so it's pretty likely to be calm. What about the Borneo waters there?

Depends on whether you are going just for the 2 of you (we were) or with a big group. For the 2 of you, it’ll be the kind of speed boat for 2-4 divers like the ones going from Sanur to Nusa Penida. For the big group it would be similar to the boat to MER.

We left Berau around 6pm when the water was calm. Got there about 10pm. It was smooth sailing. It’s better to go in the morning or evening, not in the afternoon.

We're heading to Nabucco this November. We wanted a 10-day stay but that would involve one way on the 3 - 4 hour boat ride. Has anyone been on this boat? Any comments on the ride?

We have done 3 - 4 hour rides from / to Misool and they suck (for me, since I'm 1.98m with a bad back). Always dreading them especially if there would be high seas.

- Bill
Hi

You can get a flight to Maratua island and get 30m boat to the Nabucco island.

Some great info here, sounds like an awesome place, are there lots of operators ? how would you compare it to RA all things considered ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom