Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KatieMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I just got back from sailing with Carnival Glory - Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel and thought I would do a quick review.

I took excursions through the ship in Grand Cayman, Belize and Cozumel and booked myself in Roatan.

Grand Cayman - did the Kittiwake and reef dive. Cayman Diving was a professional dive op. I enjoyed the Kittiwake dive although the reef dive afterwards (Vet School) was a bit boring. There must be better dive sites than this one. They should also have the reef dive before the Kittiwake - many hadn't been diving in a while and could have used the first dive to get used to the water again before penetrating the wreck. Kittiwake is a very easy penetration. I didn't rent gear but our friend did. They had quality gear and our friend was happy to have integrated weights instead of a weight belt. Many in the group were low on air after 30 minutes. The DM sent them for their safety and back to the boat then continued the dive (both times) with myself and another diver who still had plenty of air. No time after the dive to enjoy Grand Cayman. Would be worth the money if they had the Kittiwake as the second dive and the had a better dive site for the "reef" dive.
Dives
Kittiwake: 69 feet/37 min
Vet School: 45 feet/47 min

Belize - did the Turneffe Atoll two tank dive. The dive boat picked us up at and returned us to the ship. Dive shop was Aqua Scuba from San Pedro. The boat broke down (one engine) and it took us almost twice as long to get to the reef. My husband and my equipment was not set up correctly - low inflator hose not connection, tank safety strap not on mine, tank strap loose. We fixed it before going in the water. All the tanks were 2700-2800 (they said they consider 2700psi full). I "got lucky" on my second dive and got a tank with 3000 PSI (although I don't need it and wish it would have gone to one of the divers who was not as good on air). On each of the dives, a diver had their tank slip out. My husband and I fixed our friend's tank. Dive sites were about the most boring I have seen. I'm sure there are better ones in Belize. I'm sure there are better dive ops too. Not worth a penny IMHO.
Dives
May Ground: 71 feet/47 min
Minie Elbow: 64 feet/44 min

Cozumel - I can't remember the shop (maybe the Dive Shop or The Scuba Shop). If anybody knows the name of this shop, please let me know. I would dive with them again in a heartbeat. I have nothing but positive things to say about this - well almost. Great boat, great shop, professional DMs, fantastic dive sites. All the tanks were filled to 3200 psi or above. First dive was spectacular ... beautiful coral, lots of swimthroughs, lots of different sea life. Second dive was also amazing - sandy bottom, tiny coral outcrops, tons of little things to look at. But ... the excursion is about the last to leave the ship. Can't sample the local tequila before the dive and there was no time afterward. I literally got back on the ship wearing my wetsuit and BC and we were the last ones on board. Still worth every penny but I would prefer it be earlier in the day.
Dives
Palancar Gardens: 73 feet/51 min
Paradiso: 43 feet/56 min

Too late! I don't like that all their dive excursions leave later than most other trips. We were almost the last trip to go. This leaves no time to rinse gear or enjoy the port. By contrast, I booked my own diving in Roatan with our regular dive shop in West End. We left the ship very early - almost the first off. Met our van, got to West End, one in our group filled out all his forms, got his rental gear and then we went diving. We were in the water before the AKR excursion even left the ship (not a diss on AKR - they are a great op). We did a 59 and 57 minute dive in West End, the dive shop rinsed our gear and hung it to dry then we had time for lunch, a few beers, and a walk through the village - about 2 1/2 hours - before our van left to go back to the boat. And we got back with plenty of time to spare.

This was my first cruise ever. I loved being at sea but didn't like the line-ups and never went in the shoulder-to-shoulder crowded pool. The food in the dining room was excellent. The drinks expensive. I might do a cruise again to dive locations but only if they change the times of the excursions to earlier in the day. And I would never dive with Aqua Scuba/San Pedro again. One thing I learned from this trip - Cozumel diving is amazing and I hope somebody can tell me the name of the dive op because I'd like to book two weeks of diving with them.

@KatieMac , thanks for your trip report! Great observations made. I've done this same itinerary several times, but have always used off-ship dive ops. I personally don't like lots of people on bigger boats for dive excursions.

I'm not surprised about what you said about Belize, Cozumel and Roatan. My personal view of Belize diving and ops are "so-so" unless you luck out and get a good op. I agree that Coz diving and ops are just fantastic all-around. Most ops are fantastic! I also dive in the West End when I port in Roatan.

Although I must admit, I don't choose to dive off cruise ships anymore. It's too much work (organizing off-ship dive excursions) and not enough dives! LOL.

@KatieMac , thanks for your trip report! Great observations made. I've done this same itinerary several times, but have always used off-ship dive ops. I personally don't like lots of people on bigger boats for dive excursions.

I'm not surprised about what you said about Belize, Cozumel and Roatan. My personal view of Belize diving and ops are "so-so" unless you luck out and get a good op. I agree that Coz diving and ops are just fantastic all-around. Most ops are fantastic! I also dive in the West End when I port in Roatan.

Although I must admit, I don't choose to dive off cruise ships anymore. It's too much work (organizing off-ship dive excursions) and not enough dives! LOL.
I only dove Roatan before this cruise so didn't have any insight into dive ops in other places. "IF" I do a cruise again, I would book directly - especially with the shops in Grand Caymen and Cozumel. Far more likely to get the experience I want.

If you decide to book a cruise again...pay close attention to the port times. We don't plan to dive at every port, but the ones where we want to dive, we make sure it is an early port time so we are sure to get out on the reefs early, and back with time to see a little afterwards. The Glory sails out of Miami, so if that is your port of preference, just look at diving in Eastern itineraries as the port times might line up better with dive schedules.
We just did the Glory this past week, dove in Grand Turk...absolutely fantastic. I shot video and hubby shot stills so I hope to get them posted soon. Had scheduled to dive St Thomas but we had a late arrive due to another ship in distress (man overboard) so we aided the search...didn't get to port until 3 hours late, so diving cancelled.

We have tons of dives in Cozumel and Roatan both, lots of land trips before we started cruising recently. I agree about the diving and dive ops...all are great and diving is always great there. Belize we don't dive, ever, it is just too far and there are so many cool things to do there we would rather do. Mayan ruins, cave tubing, ziplining, etc. Lots of good topside stuff in Belize. Grand Cayman we only did once, on a cruise, and agree with you...reefs were just okay, nothing great compared to Coz and Roatan. We would dive there again, just be prepared not to be impressed.

robin

We just got back from a Carnival cruise on Miracle out of Tampa. Western Caribbean, same ports as Glory. Couldn’t dive Coz d/t weather, then went out with Aqua Scuba in Belize. They must have stepped up their game because we found them to be delightful. We set up our own gear but tanks were full and our guide led us on two beautiful dives. There were seven of us and only one young man was a recent new diver. No problems with the boat and they supplied lunch and drinks.

Roatan was amazing, even with the rough seas. I would dive with them again in a heartbeat. The last day we were to dive in Grand Caymen but again the weather was a problem. We couldn’t even dock.

It was my first cruise and I’m not in a hurry to do it again. The food outside of the dining room was meh...and we only were able to do 50% of our excursions. I’d rather book a week long trip somewhere and make my own arrangements.

Thanks for the reviews! I'm diving some of those ports again next month on the Carnival Dream.

I dived Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel last sept on the NCL Getaway, Grand Cayman and Nassau last March on the NCL Escape, Aruba and Curacao last january in the Navigator OTS. (yeah I'm a bit addicted to cruises!) :)

Best dive was in Cozumel, small boat, small group, we hit Palencar and Paradisio and the operator was absolutely perfect.
Roatan: there wasn't as much to see and it was cloudy, but the DM/guide went out of his way to find cool stuff like seahorses.
Costa Maya: DM's were fine, plenty to see but the rental equipment was so-so (mildly freeflowing reg on first dive).

Back
Top Bottom