Which Aggressor Destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone. Thinking about booking my first liveaboard trip in the next few weeks for sometime around Feb. or Mar. 2018. Looking for help on choosing a destination. Right now, my top 3 are Belize, Kona, and Costa Rica. I wouldn't rule out Roatan or the Bahamas if one of those places blow away the other 3. Belize has the advantage of a 25% off special in the months I'm looking. Advice?
I realize that this is posted in the "Aggressor" section, so I will be careful about what I say.

I have been on the BA3 but it was several years ago. There are a couple things that still stand out. It was the only live aboard that I have ever been on that the Captain got us all together as a group and went around the circle asking each of us what we wanted to see and what we were hoping to get out of the week. The Great Blue Hole (GBH) is almost guaranteed. It is one of those dives that is often mentioned as a "Bucket List" dive and I have to admit that it was pretty cool the first time I did it. When I went back a few years later, I actually liked the shallow reef surrounding the GBH better than the GBH itself. As I recall, Belize is ideal for a first time on a LOB. There is the opportunity to dive as much as you want (typically up to 5 dives a day if you do the night dives), the currents were mild if the existed at all. I honestly do not think that you would be disappointed if you went on the Belize Aggressor.

Having said that, how important is it that your first LOB be on one of the Aggressor Fleet? There are a few LOBs that are competitively priced in locations such as the Bahamas or Turks and Caicos that are also very good options. Perhaps looking at some of them might also be an idea.

Craig, What were water temps land visibility like during the 2 weeks you wee there? I am looking at similar dates for next year due to steep discounts already for April with the Red Sea Aggressor. Flights from LAX are brutal though. Not so much the cost, just the time to get there. THX-- Greg
During my trip, the water temps varied between about 74 and 78 degrees. I only had a chance to take one wetsuit so I took my 7 mm. I was often the only warm diver on a dive but was a little warm on a few dives. I could have used a 5mm with my hooded vest but who can predict. I erred on the side of not being cold, which I detest. The visibility was generally quite good, 60-120 ft+

I realize that this is posted in the "Aggressor" section, so I will be careful about what I say.

I have been on the BA3 but it was several years ago. There are a couple things that still stand out. It was the only live aboard that I have ever been on that the Captain got us all together as a group and went around the circle asking each of us what we wanted to see and what we were hoping to get out of the week. The Great Blue Hole (GBH) is almost guaranteed. It is one of those dives that is often mentioned as a "Bucket List" dive and I have to admit that it was pretty cool the first time I did it. When I went back a few years later, I actually liked the shallow reef surrounding the GBH better than the GBH itself. As I recall, Belize is ideal for a first time on a LOB. There is the opportunity to dive as much as you want (typically up to 5 dives a day if you do the night dives), the currents were mild if the existed at all. I honestly do not think that you would be disappointed if you went on the Belize Aggressor.

Having said that, how important is it that your first LOB be on one of the Aggressor Fleet? There are a few LOBs that are competitively priced in locations such as the Bahamas or Turks and Caicos that are also very good options. Perhaps looking at some of them might also be an idea.

I don’t suppose that choosing an Aggressor is absolutely imperative. I’d just like to stay on a LOB that is one of the nicer ones. Any suggestions for a comparable LOB is appreciated. Turks and Caicos definitely sounds intriguing.

I don’t suppose that choosing an Aggressor is absolutely imperative. I’d just like to stay on a LOB that is one of the nicer ones. Any suggestions for a comparable LOB is appreciated. Turks and Caicos definitely sounds intriguing.
PM sent.

I'd say that Cocos Island will blow away everything other than the Galapagos or the far Pacific sites. OTOH, it might be a big step for a first liveaboard trip and you won't be able to cut it short if you don't like it. The Bahamas might be a better start. Nice diving, and one of the cheaper trips they offer. Belize was OK too, as were the Caymans. If you decide on Cocos, let me know. I have a return trip booked for the end of February and can perhaps provide a few tips.

So, how was the Cocos trip?

So, how was the Cocos trip?

Flat crossings, warmer water(3mm suit). All the big guys were there, except for the whale sharks, but not as many as the previous May trip. My next visit will be next summer in July/August, height of the rainy season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom