reg service / cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a Scubapro trained repair technician - I can't complete the overhaul of a regulator set without evaluating IP and cracking pressure. Without bench testing the reg - I have no idea if the first stage and second stage are tuned to specifications. In training - it was emphasized that both guages (IP and magnahelic) are required for adequate testing. Without disparaging the shop in question, I'd encourage you to utilize the services of a shop which demonstrates professionalism and thoroughness in their service procedures.

Rinsing and soaking in warm fresh water is a fantastic idea after every dive in salt water. It makes the service technician's job easier. However, even mineralized fresh water may leave a scale. And salt water will certainly leave deposits that are difficult to remove with rinsing or vinegar. Time in an ultrasonic cleaner with an appropriate solvent (e.g. GMC's hydosonic cleaner) are important in that they return the parts to a factory clean state without damaging the parts and removing chrome. I'm unaware of any dremel tool attachment or abrasive that will perform a similar job. Nor was one recommended during my equipment clinic. Perhaps the cost of a professional grade ultrasonic cleaner ($600) and solvent ($29+$30 hazmat charge) has something to do with their tool choice?
where can i buy GMC's hydosonic cleaner

If I was paying for service I would expect the regs to be set to factory specifications, a little hard to do without the correct equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom