Marker buoy and spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will run away from you before it's full if you try to inflate a 10' at depth. Use a 6' to deploy at depth. IF you're a long way from the boat when you surface, THEN inflate the big one. Otherwise, the big one just goes along for the ride, not used on a regular basis.

Those 10' SMBs take a LOT of air. I've never used mine in the water, just blew it up in the living room. It's really big. Hope to never need it. So far it has just stayed rolled up and clipped off.

2m (6') DSMB open bottom deployment... from most preferred to least preferred...

1. Purge air from BC into open bottom, so as to not change buoynacy
2. Blow air or use primary second stage exhaust into open bottom
3. Use second stage octo to inflate open bottom

Has anyone figured out a rough rule-of-thumb for how much air is needed at different depths for this size DSMB? How the DSMB should look? Number of breaths?

My gear is almost complete, and one of the few things I don't have is the marker buoy...
I would like to buy
1) DBSM that can also be inflated by mouth
2) Short, about 1.3m (many but not all the dives will be in the Mediterranean)
3) With spool
The one I wanted to buy was this one
Cressi Buoy Deco Pro comprare e offerta su Scubastore
But unfortunately it would take too long to wait for it be delivered
In the local diving shop I found this one:

https://www.landisport.com/it/access...one-mares.html

which is actually 1.8m not 1.3 which I would prefer
What do you think?

Last edited:
Speaking of visibility, I added two large patches of 3M ScotchLite marine grade (SOLAS grade) reflective material to the top of my SMB. At night it would make the SMB stick out like a sore thumb, but even in daylight the material makes a bright reflection that is very much more visible than just the marker. Yellow, red, dayglo cloth, all can become the "same" color as a low sun shining on whitecaps in the water. ScotchLite stands out. (Available online in rolls of many colors.)

Back
Top Bottom