Where to find Basking Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it sounds like good advice so far.

Not sure if this is gonna bother the admins on scubaboard at all but in the interest of assisting you with your quest, you may want to check out yorkshire divers which is a UK based forum and populated mainly by brits. Its not as generally entertaining as scubaboard but will have far more people on it who have information that you are looking for.

If you ed up in scotland and have the time and money then you really should check out Scapa Flow while there.

Somebody mentioned Porthkerris, there are basking sharks down there seasonally (can't remember when). It'll be warmer there and there are some pretty good dive sites too.

. . . in the sun!

:rofl4:

it sounds like good advice so far.

Not sure if this is gonna bother the admins on scubaboard at all but in the interest of assisting you with your quest, you may want to check out yorkshire divers which is a UK based forum and populated mainly by brits. Its not as generally entertaining as scubaboard but will have far more people on it who have information that you are looking for.

If you ed up in scotland and have the time and money then you really should check out Scapa Flow while there.

Somebody mentioned Porthkerris, there are basking sharks down there seasonally (can't remember when). It'll be warmer there and there are some pretty good dive sites too.

Actually, I would check out The Dive Forum (The Dive Forum) as opposed to Yorkshire Divers, as most people jumped ship when it was sold to VS.

Incredible, I was reviewing some videos and pictures, Cornwall is better than the Maldives
Who cares about the reef
Next time I go to the UK I want to dive with the basking sharks

Cornwall seems to be having a good season for basking sharks this year (after very few sightings in the past two years). Here is a video from a snorkelling trip a couple of weeks ago. This was the only shark co-operative enough to jump in with but we saw another 2.

I would like to take the first crap flight I find and see them... may I ask where exactly was this video taken (if it isn’t a secret...)? Is there a specific town and diving center you would suggest? And also, when does the basking sharks season start and end? Thanks

They can be found also in Sardinia locally they are called ‘elephant sharks’ . The season there is February to April. Not always easy to see them anyway

I would like to take the first crap flight I find and see them... may I ask where exactly was this video taken (if it isn’t a secret...)? Is there a specific town and diving center you would suggest? And also, when does the basking sharks season start and end? Thanks

This was on a trip out of Falmouth in Cornwall towards The Lizard. The season in Cornwall is generally late April- early June, in the Isle of Man it is late May to August and The Hebrides seem to get them June to September. No advice on specific towns or companies, but i think the Hebrides is the most reliable place in the UK and has the greatest numbers of sharks.

Thank you very much I appreciate

Back
Top Bottom