Best place in the world to be a dive instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vancouver Island might work.

-Not bonkers expensive, if you stay away from Victoria. The forestry industry has been dying for the last 30 years, you can buy a place in one of those little north-island towns for nothing these days.
-Reasonably well developed, for most definitions of "reasonable". Not third world anyway; the RCMP, Medicare, and the BC school system are about as good as you will find anywhere.
-Place with nice fit women who are kind to American men? Your mileage may vary, a lot. Being nice, fit, and kind yourself will go a long way.
-Place where I can make a nice living in the Diving/Hospitality field? There's a few other operators around, and I think God's Pocket is for sale right now. Seems to me there's room for growth in the industry, especially now that we're down to zero remaining liveaboards.
-Best diving in the world, if you're willing to be a cold water diver. The water is rich and there's a lot to see, but that's a really big "if" for most folks; it's different from the Caribbean experience. Cold, low vis, strong current, bad weather: your customers need to be a bit tougher and more adventurous, not to mention better trained and equipped. Those customers do exist and need to dive with someone, why not you?
Unfortunately you need Canadian citizenship to drive the boat. I would love to buy God's Pocket if I could. I tried talking Bill and Annie into staying another year with no luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom