GoPro declining usage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric has the video covered so this last trip I focused more on technique to get good stills from my video efforts. My video light gave out early on so most shots obviously suffer from lack of additional light. Here are a few ...

3700471B-6375-4380-BF96-89DEB1A06BC6.jpeg

B936D601-CA41-41F5-903F-E5827099843D.jpeg
DBADA06C-CB90-4CAE-A494-CA7FF5318D9D.jpeg
8B971C89-1760-41B2-9210-CDA8BA280561.png
AAC7FC0C-6B1B-401A-B2FB-B2F6662C29CD.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder if the same phenomenon applies to both live concerts and diving? People want to concentrate on enjoying the concert or dive instead of holding a camera and doing the filming.

I don’t like taking stills with the GoPro I will take video and grab stills from that, they turn out much better.

A few stills pulled from video in about 20-25’ while freediving.
A0A2ED83-3DA6-4EFA-88BA-B017DB01A709.jpeg

E3B060B9-79F8-42C0-9125-31D3C05EDCA2.jpeg

Years ago, before the advent of the GoPro, I used a fairly high-end Sony point-n-shoot w/ housing for photography. Sadly it was not that good for taking stills underwater, but was decent for video. Thus began many years of obsession with capturing/editing video dive footage. Once the GoPro came out I was excited to switch, but the product was new and clearly in need of further development. Each year there was seemingly a new GoPro camera out to best the previous version, but never really felt comfortable pulling the trigger. Evenutally I began to sour on continuing to use my old Sony when comparing the results people were getting from the GoPro, so stopped even bothering to take a camera on trips. Suddenly, my dives were a whole new level of enjoyable, and I soon realized just how much of the experience I had been missing out on. ...And thus began many years of NOT obsessing over capturing/editing video dive footage.

Fast-forward; now I get a new Hero 6 for Christmas!

Anyway, I have played around with my new toy a little bit, as well as getting sucked into the endless black hole of accessorizing the platform. Yeah; it's fun and takes great video, but mostly just sits in the bag. I am taking it to Coz next week, and looking forward to seeing what kind of results I get from it, but I also have to say that I plan on setting aside many camera-free dive days. While I love the thought of capturing memories on camera, I'm not sure they can match the feeling of living in the moment. For me that is equally important, if not more so.

So I am now into my second week in Coz and have been using my new Hero 6 since about Sunday. I put together a little Quik Story from the phone app as a link in my Signature below. Have to admit it has been fun to play around with, and the results blow my old Sony literally out of the water; but still looking forward to more camera-free dive days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom