DSS not taking orders, alternatives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Takimbe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I was saving up for a personal rig, but got shipped off out of the country for work. I was set on a DSS backplate and wing, but on my return, I found that they were moving and wont be taking orders for 6 months. Its a shame because I live in San Diego, and was just going to make a drive up there to pick it up personally.

I have done some research and cant really decide on one, so my questions for this board are:
  1. What are some reasonably priced alternatives for a SS backplate and wing?
  2. What are some harnesses with QDs that are recommended? I know a majority of users on here are BP/W with single harness, but this isnt an option for me at this time. I looked at Apeks WTX, Dive Rite Deluxe, and OMS so far...but unsure of what to go with, or if there are others I should be looking at.
  3. What lift should I be using for my size and usage? (majority of dives will be in San Diego, cold water, 7mm wetsuit with hood and boots). I am also 6'2", 260 lbs, muscle/bodybuilder build. I also will be taking vacations to warm water locations in Asia and Mexico throughout the year.
Thanks and looking forward to contributing more once I get more dives and finish my PSD training!

Does it seem odd to anyone (besides me of course) that a company would completely shut down for at least 6 months due to a relocation?

Does it seem odd to anyone (besides me of course) that a company would completely shut down for at least 6 months due to a relocation?

I was also going to buy a bp/w from DSS I contacted Tobin and we discussed it in detail he helped me piece it all together. I couldn’t bite at that time (school/car etc.) He then informed me of the move and that he just underestimated the amount of stock he would need for the move and inventory would be gone shortly.

So I was saving up for a personal rig, but got shipped off out of the country for work. I was set on a DSS backplate and wing, but on my return, I found that they were moving and wont be taking orders for 6 months. Its a shame because I live in San Diego, and was just going to make a drive up there to pick it up personally.

I have done some research and cant really decide on one, so my questions for this board are:
  1. What are some reasonably priced alternatives for a SS backplate and wing?
  2. What are some harnesses with QDs that are recommended? I know a majority of users on here are BP/W with single harness, but this isnt an option for me at this time. I looked at Apeks WTX, Dive Rite Deluxe, and OMS so far...but unsure of what to go with, or if there are others I should be looking at.
  3. What lift should I be using for my size and usage? (majority of dives will be in San Diego, cold water, 7mm wetsuit with hood and boots). I am also 6'2", 260 lbs, muscle/bodybuilder build. I also will be taking vacations to warm water locations in Asia and Mexico throughout the year.
Thanks and looking forward to contributing more once I get more dives and finish my PSD training!

Highly recommend you check out the combo packages from Golem Gear!

What are some harnesses with QDs that are recommended?

I dive (and like) The Dive Rite Harnesses. I use both the Trans pac and Trans Plate. The Transplate is my oldest, at 4 years and over 400 dives. No issues. The plastics seem well made, they have survived the heat and High UV of the middle East.

On top of that the harnesses have good adjustments for back length etc (obviously the come in different sizes to begin with) And they are very easy to fine the on the fly

I'm not a fan of the WTX in that it lacks some adjustments A friend had one and I was surprised at the limited adjustments to allow good position of the cylinder.

I've always dived the Dive Rite or Apex bladders that that 32-36# lift - because I use HP120 in warm water.

Upto know I've never bothered changing a wing out for smaller lift bladder - but I've acquired a 25lb lift wing which would be great for vacation Al80 diving- not that my bigger wings are an issue but I since I have it, knocking up a travel rig isn't an issue so see if I like it

If I were going to put QD's into my harness, I would buy the pieces-parts and do it myself, threading the webbing through, doubling it back, and using tri-slides to secure it. That way nothing is sewn in and if a plastic buckle gets broken, I could easily repair it myself, in just a few minutes, with no tools.

Done that way, the tri-slides used can do double duty to hold D-rings or bungee loops or whatever, to minimize the amount of hardware required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom