Rainbow Reef Dive Center buys Ocean Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was less contrived. I divide ships on the bottom of the ocean into two categories: Screamers and fakes. Boats that go down with passengers and crew screaming are the real wrecks. The SG is a fake: an artificial reef. Its appeal on its side was that it wasn't as sanitized that way. Now it's just an underwater jungle gym. My best dive on the SG was with @Capt Jim Wyatt who served on that ship in the Navy. In fact, my appreciation for it went up a few notches. But it's still there on purpose and not by an act of war, piracy or accident.
Great description. I prefer screamers and littering, but fakes is a good substitute.

The amount of cash those things return to the economy is far more than what they cost to build in the first place.

Last edited:
I get the difference, and the thing that really gets me is the upright screamer.....

It was less contrived. I divide ships on the bottom of the ocean into two categories: Screamers and fakes. Boats that go down with passengers and crew screaming are the real wrecks. The SG is a fake: an artificial reef. Its appeal on its side was that it wasn't as sanitized that way. Now it's just an underwater jungle gym. My best dive on the SG was with @Capt Jim Wyatt who served on that ship in the Navy. In fact, my appreciation for it went up a few notches. But it's still there on purpose and not by an act of war, piracy or accident.

For a minute there all the references to "screamers" and 'fakers" and "go down" had me wonderin' if I'd stumbled across Scubaboard's new dating section! :)

Great description. I prefer screamers and littering, but fakes is a good substitute.

The amount of cash those things return to the economy is far more than what they cost to build in the first place.

*Raises hand* We are spending way too much money on fakes in the panhandle of FL. But, dang it is a blast compared to our local diving. As travelers we contribute more than our share to the tourism industry. As diving travelers it has not diminished, that is for sure!

*Raises hand* We are spending way too much money on fakes in the panhandle of FL. But, dang it is a blast compared to our local diving. As travelers we contribute more than our share to the tourism industry. As diving travelers it has not diminished, that is for sure!

Not sure what you are suggesting? Should we get more screamers and if so who is going to be torpedoing them?

As far as a double on the SG with RR? Not typical and on their website, their schedule for next month shows not one double on the SG.

Actually there is a 2x Speigel this Sunday morning on the schedule. They try to run 1 boat as double dips on weekends. Note that many trips say "captains choice" after the 1st dip & those many times become doubles when conditions are good &/or if there are classes aboard that might need them (wreck, deep, AOW, tec) &/or the customers on board want it. Starting in June with even more boats to offer Im sure there will be more double dips & more tech trips offered.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are suggesting? Should we get more screamers and if so who is going to be torpedoing them?
I am not sure how you read my post and thought I was suggesting that we needed to populate the sea floor with more screamers. I never mentioned 'screamers.' I personally cringe a bit at the term. I specifically mentioned contributing to the economy while diving fakes. That was my message. If there is any confusion I read, it is that "We are spending way too much money on fakes" could have more specifically said "My family is spending way too much money on fakes." But I still never said or implied or hinted that anyone needed to create screamers.

I am not sure how you read my post and thought I was suggesting that we needed to populate the sea floor with more screamers. I never mentioned 'screamers.' I personally cringe a bit at the term. I specifically mentioned contributing to the economy while diving fakes. That was my message. If there is any confusion I read, it is that "We are spending way too much money on fakes" could have more specifically said "My family is spending way too much money on fakes." But I still never said or implied or hinted that anyone needed to create screamers.
I do hope you realize that my comment was tongue a cheek.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom