Airplane tickets - When to Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prices might be high - but the week I was looking at in late July - coach on Delta out of Atlanta is already sold out.

At least from LA, Delta usually more expensive than United. Give some thought to United through Newark (EWR). However, United doesn't run that flight from mid-August through the end of October, so it depends on what your specific dates are.

Thank you all for your responses! I've got a number of alerts set up.

Delta now has 4 classes of services; Economy, Main, Comfort and First Class.
I selected "Main" for our trip down and was offered a first class upgrade for the return flight that was only $100 more than a return "Main" class ticket. I decided to check what the price differential would be for "Comfort" since that class guarantees a dedicated overhead bin. Again, I was offered an upgrade to first class for the return but this time it was $200 more than if I had selected "Main". Why in the world would the price for a return ticket change depending on the class you select on the way out?! I truly despise dealing with the airlines!

Interestingly, the cost for Delta and American are the exact same prices no matter what day/week/month you choose to fly.

A couple of places say buy tickets 58 days before your flight for the cheapest tickets. There is an app for phones called Hopper that tracks prices and tells you when to buy. You can buy through the app or go to the airline's website and buy direct.

Just a point in general... You normally get the cheapest prices by travelling on Wednesdays. 30 years of travel has taught me that. It may vary somewhat, but in general if you can go Wed - Wed you'll get the best pricing.

Or Thursday to Thursday. Depended on where I was trying to get to. Another quirk in the airline's systems.

Thank you all for your responses! I've got a number of alerts set up.

Delta now has 4 classes of services; Economy, Main, Comfort and First Class.
I selected "Main" for our trip down and was offered a first class upgrade for the return flight that was only $100 more than a return "Main" class ticket. I decided to check what the price differential would be for "Comfort" since that class guarantees a dedicated overhead bin. Again, I was offered an upgrade to first class for the return but this time it was $200 more than if I had selected "Main". Why in the world would the price for a return ticket change depending on the class you select on the way out?! I truly despise dealing with the airlines!

Interestingly, the cost for Delta and American are the exact same prices no matter what day/week/month you choose to fly.

Please note the difference between "Basic Economy" on Delta and American. On Delta, you can't pick a seat and are not eligible for an upgrade (if you are a medallion member). With American, you can't pick a seat, and you can't carry on a bag. The carryon is a big deal to me. I put my BCD, reg, mask, computer, nautilus radio, some shirts, shorts and underwear in my carryon. My personal bag has other electronics. My checked bag has my fins, dsmb, spool, snorkel, liquids, some foods and the rest of my clothes. I would hate to put my reg and BCD in my checked bag.

Thanks everyone for your help. I haven't booked tickets yet. Thanks Trumptone for the advice on Hopper. I'm also tracking prices on Google Flights. Haven't pulled the string yet, but I have booked our resort.

Please note the difference between "Basic Economy" on Delta and American. On Delta, you can't pick a seat and are not eligible for an upgrade (if you are a medallion member). With American, you can't pick a seat, and you can't carry on a bag. The carryon is a big deal to me. I put my BCD, reg, mask, computer, nautilus radio, some shirts, shorts and underwear in my carryon. My personal bag has other electronics. My checked bag has my fins, dsmb, spool, snorkel, liquids, some foods and the rest of my clothes. I would hate to put my reg and BCD in my checked bag.

Thanks, Snoweman. I noticed that on the Delta website. We also pack our dive gear in our carry on. I don't care if my clothes and toiletries get lost. I can dive without those!

... I decided to check what the price differential would be for "Comfort" since that class guarantees a dedicated overhead bin. ...
Interesting. I wonder how do they deliver on that guarantee? Do you get to board "earlier" and just "hope" there is space left? This seems to be "lip service" to me. I could be wrong, but am very interested in how they can deliver this.

As a frequent flyer on Air Canada I try to be first in line in my over-privileged "second group" just below the real overly frequent flyers (Zone 2 or Group B for me). In most every flight I have been on, overhead bins are provided on a first come first served basis. Most (every!) planes do not have enough overhead space for the seating. The only guaranteed space is your foot well area (unless you have a bulkhead row in which case you are totally screwed - never book a bulkhead row).

If you get on last then the overhead above your seat will already be filled by others ahead of you (by people like me). I have observed some sneaky smart back of the bus peeps try to toss their stuff into the business class bins as they board - most of the time they do not get caught. But I have also seen cabin crew call them on it and make them drag their bags backwards.

Some people still actually believe that they will have reserved overhead space regardless. Real life does not work that way.

So how does this work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom