HOG Total Buoyancy Control System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoPo Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What’s up All,
Finally got the new BP/W in the water and wanted to post a review because I hadn’t found one on here prior to purchase.

This past Sunday I used for the first time my new Total Buoyancy Control System by HOG. Little bit about the dives real quick:
3 dives Total, in depths from 20-40 feet. I was taking the PADI Search And Recovery Course. Water was a cool 75 degrees at the surface with temps at depth ranging from 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit. The class was in the quarry at Blue Water Park in Pelham, AL. Great place to go get some training, practice, or fun dives.

The System:
As advertised, this BP/W comes fully customizable. Two options exist ( from dive right in scuba website, at least) on ordering; either pre-webbed, or un-webbed. I opted for the un-webbed option so I could place D rings where I liked them. All necessary hardware and straps was included in the box. There are two options for backplate, aluminum or stainless steel, and two options for wings, a 23 lb lift and a 32 lb lift. I opted for the 32 lb lift and the aluminum back plate. Putting the system together took all of about 30 min, with an additional 1 hour or so of tweaking the straps and placing D rings where I wanted them. Most of that was honestly because I was bored and kept “playing” with different ideas and set ups. In hindsight, I should have gone with the stainless back plate, more on that in a bit.

This was my first time diving a backplate and wing set up and to be honest, I wish I had been diving with it my whole time. It didn’t even feel like anything is on me until I added my tank. The range of motion was exceptional and the whole kit felt like an extension of my body, not cumbersome excess baggage. I’ve always had issues achieving good buoyancy and trim until I dove this system. It’s a very balanced rig that seems to do most of the work for you. If you do have any needs to readjust, this is done easily even with wet webbing and parts. I tend to dive slightly heavy and that is why I should have opted for the stainless plate. I ended up needing about 6 pounds of lead to keep me down. I also purchased the single tank adapter to help with weight and stabilize a single tank.

I honestly have no complaints about the system as of now. A few personal bad judgements that I had to adjust for ( I didn’t tighten the fasteners for the dump valve and the inflator hose so the wing slow leaked, and I should have bought the stainless steel plate).

I’m eager to put more dives on the system and see how it performs under more stringent circumstances. So far tho, I would high recommend this system for beginners and expierenced divers alike. I purchased my system from www.diverightinscuba.com Bc they offer a financing option and have never had any issues with them or their customer service.

I have been diving mine for a little less than a year and love it. I bought the soft plate and use side weight and tank band trim weight pockets. Also went with the quick release cam tank bands. Highly Optimized Gear it is!

Back
Top Bottom