GoPro declining usage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear there is a Japanese company that makes them out of silicone, much more life like than acrylic. Not sure how she would handle flooding...

I take my faux-pro on pretty much every dive. I just let it run. If I need both hands, it is on a lanyard. The bulk of the footage is junk, but I am really only looking to make a two or three minute narrative about that particular dive. What I do for white balance if I don’t have a filter on is I use the sample tool to click on a white piece of gear.

A friend of mine had a brilliant idea. I took a small rectangle of printer paper, about 4 X 6 inches, and laminated it with heavy plastic. I keep this in my BC pocket and sometimes even remember to take it out and shoot it with the GoPro for my white balance. I'll do this usually at the beginning of the dive and at large depth changes.

A friend of mine had a brilliant idea. I took a small rectangle of printer paper, about 4 X 6 inches, and laminated it with heavy plastic. I keep this in my BC pocket and sometimes even remember to take it out and shoot it with the GoPro for my white balance. I'll do this usually at the beginning of the dive and at large depth changes.

A small slate works too. We also have white fins on some dives which give the perfect distance for WB

I did not realize that you could do some sort of "white balance" with a Gopro. Do you aim at the piece of white paper and then push a button to do a white balance?

I did not realize that you could do some sort of "white balance" with a Gopro. Do you aim at the piece of white paper and then push a button to do a white balance?

At least on the Hero 3, this is done with the software, not on the camera. I try to remember to use my laminated white square and give the camera a good look at it. Later, in the software, there's a button where you can "pick" the white balance by clicking on something white.

Thanks Lefty. That's what I was thinking. It's not a true white balance underwater but something done when editing.

Thanks Lefty. That's what I was thinking. It's not a true white balance underwater but something done when editing.

Correct. The GoPro software has this feature in the "edit" step. That's one thing I like about the Caribbean. Most of the time, a light red filter is all I need, and minimal color correction once I look at it on the 'puter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom