PADI - What have you done to ScubaEarth Dive Log locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mockney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm passionate about logging my dives, both paper and online. I made the mistake of choosing Scubaearth to log all my online dives. It does a few things well, I like how the dives are automatically updated on my padi app, I like how scuba earth shows your dive certifications, I like how you can see other divers who have dived the same site, its has a social feel to the web site. I committed and have logged all my dives here (147).

I also really liked how it puts a flag on the map at every dive site you have been too, I enjoyed looking at the map planning my next dive, my local dive map was looking good. I have continued to use this site despite it being probably the worst and most buggy of all online dive logs. I must admit its not a good user experience logging dives, its complicated, the features don't work, its not well tested doesent have a great user experience and you cant upload any dive log data from your dive computer. But still I have stuck with it.

So I log in the other day and find that all the dives site where I have logged dives have been placed in geographically the wrong area's dives I logged in Sydney are now showing as being in the US. The Valiant dive wreck in Sydney is now in the sea of Japan. They have completely screwed up the dive site locations. One of the best points of this site has now been ruined. Tried to contact their support to see if they intend to fix the problem but zero response.

To be honest I should just find another dive log and start from scratch, its just really annoying I have invested so much time in logging these dives, detailing all the information, the dive descriptions. It's just very disappointing that PADI offer such a poor product and then go ahead and break it even further.

PADI... any chance your going fix this problem or is it screwed on a permanent basis?. Any ideas?. Do we just give up on Scubaearth or will you bother to invest some time and effort into making this a better product?.

I just recently started logging my dives on scubaearth.com. If you could go with another online logbook, which one would you go for and why?

I think Deepblu are owning the market at the moment seem to have a decent product. But Padi are updating ScubaEarth with a new site called MyPadi which is in testing/beta at the moment, I have seen it a few items look better but my personal view is I prefer the old version the things ScubaEarth did well haven’t really crossed over onto MyPadi. Overall the current version I'm not that impressed with to be honest. Oh and they never fixed the screwed dive locations in ScubaEarth so I don’t know if that's been fixed in the MyPadi site. If it wasn’t for the fact the logged dives show on my PADI app and I have invested so much time logging 200+ dives into ScubaEarth I would move to another dive log without hesitation.

Last edited:
I use both subsurface and ScubaEarth. One thing I hate about ScubaEarth is that you can only list a dive buddy or instructor that is also on ScubaEarth. Since most of my dive buddies so far were non-PADI my ScubaEarth dive log looks like I never dive with a buddy (not true).

Though I'm the furthest from being computer-accomplished, I did check out ScubaEarth when it first came out. I had no idea how to figure out how to log a dive. But that's just me.

As a diver who forever lost his entire ScubaEarth dive log record one week to the next I echo your pain.

Cameron

I never lost any dive data on Scubaearth, that would seriously P*ss me off, but they did screw up all the dive locations which was annoying enough, i did end up fixing the problem myself (it's slightly anal) but I used google maps to give the the co-ordinates of where the dive site should be located then I edited the actual dive site in Scubaearth and re-entered the correct co-ordinates. That worked so mine are now fixed, but still thousands of sites are wrong so they kinda messed it up really. I'm guessing they don't have a very good infrastructure and application support partner on this website, their back and and restore process its non-existent. PADI take note!.

ScubaEarth is being replaced with MyPadi. I think perhaps your issue is either temporary, or a result of the change. The good news is that the new version looks great, and is faster and easier to use. I don't know for sure, but I think anything you have entered in Scuba Earth will be transferred over into MyPadi automatically, and it will be included in the app.

I would suggest hold tight and see what the launch has to offer before you abandon the work you have already done. Based on what I've seen, it will be pretty awesome. :wink:

I just recently started logging my dives on scubaearth.com. If you could go with another online logbook, which one would you go for and why?
Subsurface is great. Run away from ScubaEarth. It is a disgrace. I have a hard time believing that anyone at PADI is monitoring the site. I've never received a response from tech support. ScubaEarth feels like it was some summer interns project. The only nice things I can say about ScubaEarth is the dive locker feature is nice as well as being able to see vets online. The speed of the server is third rate at best.

I got a response from a guy at PADI regarding a serious ScubaEarth issue (I could see how many dives I'd logged, but couldn't get the logbook to load). After a long back-and-forth over a couple months, the problem seems to be systemic and the IT group is developing a patch that will eventually roll out. To be honest, I was surprised how responsive they were. On the other hand, I've heard a lot of complaints about PADI IT....

I'm hoping the move to my.padi.com will resolve a lot of the issues. I spent a lot of time transferring my logbook (kept in Excel) to ScubaEarth. I don't want to re-enter it all in some other product online product. (I know, should have asked which options are best before I started typing away, creating new dive sites, etc..)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom