Islamorada recommendations (stores and sites)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDKL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I'm going to be heading down to around Islamorada in the next month and a bit and am looking for some recommendations on stores/dive boats and dive sites. I'll likely have 2 to 3 days of diving and I'm reasonably experienced so all levels of site are potential options.

I'll happily dive with a single AL cylinder but usually feel more comfortable with steel or doubles so if those are available in the area then it'd be good to know.

What would you recommend for an exposure suit for that area and time of year (I've looked at the sea surface temps but as we know that's not necessarily representative of below the thermocline)...

Thanks,

D.

Conch Republic Divers is on nearby Tavernier. They rent steel tanks and are a good dive operation. I've made many dives with them

I've been out with Islamorada Dive Center on one of my keys trips. I had my own tanks on that trip but I liked the staff and enjoyed the dives on deeper reefs.

Last edited:
78-79 degrees on the water temp . You will be fine in a 3mm wetsuit .
Have a great time diving !
Sea Dwellers

Charters:
Silent World or Rainbow Reef
And for a private Sun Sports, you can bring on your own tanks and pick what you want to dive for the weekend. just watch out for a Jackhole named Mica, he's not part of the operation but he likes to think he is he'll "cut you a deal"!!

As far as site's I'd make and easy 4 with the eagle, Spegial, Duane and Bibb.
I really enjoyed Crocker Davis reef.
And If anyone says "go to the benwood, it's great with loads of life, you'll love it!" Just F'ing shoot yourself it's a boring ******** dive!!!

Conch Republic Divers is on nearby Tavernier. They rent steel tanks and are a good dive operation. I've made many dives with them

I've been out with Islamorada Dive Center on one of my keys trips. I had my own tanks on that trip but I liked the staff and enjoyed the dives on deeper reefs.

I'm not sure that IDC is still open. They were at Postcard Marina and it's still closed. Not sure if they've moved somewhere else, but I agree, their staff is amazing.
Have a good trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom