How do you wash and store gear when traveling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put them in the shower. Leave them for a couple minutes, turn, flip, etc. For stuff that you can make smaller, get one of those "kitchen sink" packable tubs. A folded up wetsuit will fill inside. If you remove the wing from the backplate and fold it you can do the same.

Sea to Summit Kitchen Sink - 20 liter

Use a spool and double ender to make a clothesline in your hotel/apartment/rustic beach cabana.

I do similar. Even buying a tub for a few dollars locally isn't bad. I've used a cleaned out borrowed garbage can too.

When I'm away, my gears gets nothing more than a cursory rinse if I'm not diving for a few days. Basically only the reg 2nd stages

At home I have a couple of Rubbermaid bins I fill with water - one for wetsuits etc and the other for equipment. On my bcd/wings - generally monthly - I remove the dump valve and LP inflator and just let the bladders fully fill and sit there over night to dissolve salt inside and out.

My Sharkskin top if I'm away goes in the shower every other day

Shower and/or bathtub. I do my last dive a week before driving the 4 days back from FL so it can dry before loading the car. For my one week in Panama, the DM said not necessary to rinse daily. Trus, as long as it doesn't dry with salt on it. I still rinsed daily.

Last edited:
I guess the wing, wetsuit, and boots are what I’m concerned most with. I’ve been staying in people’s homes so I didn’t feel as good about dragging wet gear through the house.

I ended up getting a box of heavy trash bags and baby shampoo and washing the wetsuit in a shower. Today the boat dock had a shower which was great.

I’ve been trying to stay ahead of the stink, but one extra night in the trunk due to reservation miscommunication was all it took.

I guess the wing, wetsuit, and boots are what I’m concerned most with.
The wing, just rinse in shower and if you feel it is needed you can scrub a bit with diluted baby shampoo.

Its somewhat controversal but at the end of a trip I wash my 3 ml in a front load washer on gentle cycle then just hang to dry. Sometimes I include my boots. Other times I soak the booties in diluted alcohol free mouthwash or dettol. And as a last resort, especially if on a trip and I need to freshen up the booties, I put a few drops of eucalyptus oil inside them.

If I'm diving in fresh water, I rinse it off after I get home. If i'm diving in salt water, I shower with my gear at the end of each dive day and put it out on the patio/balcony of the hotel room to dry.

I never put my mask in the communal rinse tank or the mask bucket on the boat. I have rinsed gear in the shower and at one hotel I had a hot tub that my buddy and I used to soak and rinse our gear. Don't worry too much about soaking your gear until you get home. A daily dip in the rinse tank or shower, even a hose will do until you get home.

Back
Top Bottom