Oceanic reg help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
20180427_203448.jpg
20180427_203425.jpg
20180427_203403.jpg
Can any one help identify these regs, I was told the first stage can not be rebuilt due to parts no longer available and would like to replace it with a new one and what current oceanic 1st stage should I pair with the 2nd?

older delta 2. the first stage seat is available through trident i believe. some shops aren't willing to go that route though. it isn't really desirable, so unless if you want to practice rebuilding regs with it, i would just give it a miss. that octo is one of the worst. the cover constantly cracks and the WOB is bad.

Assuming that one of the 2nds can be serviced and used as an octo (add a yellow hose cover to the blue one if necessary) you can get an Oceanic Alpha 7/SP5 for $175 on sale - normally the SP5 is that alone.

If not octo's start about $90-100 - the cheapest Oceanic is around $130 - Cressi makes one (XS Octo) for $69 that will work but your dealer then needs to service both brands at the annual service.

It's a decent entry level piston reg. probably the single limiting factor is one HP port so you can have an SPG or a dive computer transmitter but not both - for redundancy. It's not balanced so what that may mean is the breathing could get a little harder at depth or when the tank is closer to empty. Not always a bad thing as it's a subtle reminder to start to surface.

Oceanic Alpha 7 SP5 Regulator

Leisurepro is a licensed Oceanic dealer so no issues with warranty/repairs etc. if needed - you can get them done at your local shop.

One other thing to consider is that you're going to pay $50 or so to have either of the 2nds you own serviced and there's a lot of decent 1st/2nd stage combos available around $250 including several Mares or Sherwood models, Not including the octo.

Last edited:
View attachment 457078 View attachment 457079 View attachment 457080Can any one help identify these regs, I was told the first stage can not be rebuilt due to parts no longer available and would like to replace it with a new one and what current oceanic 1st stage should I pair with the 2nd?

Delta2 + 95 Balanced diaphram+ slimline octo, any Oceanic dealer should be able to rebuild it.
You might want to find an older dealer tho, you need an old service manual to find the partnumbers.

Oceanic has parts for at least 30 years after productionstop..

As others have said the second stage is a 2nd generation Delta. The first stage looks like a DX-3 to me.

My advice is to buy this and reuse the delta and sell the slim line.

As others have said the second stage is a 2nd generation Delta. The first stage looks like a DX-3 to me.

My advice is to buy this and reuse the delta and sell the slim line.

Need to be very careful buying Aeris regs. While there is nothing wrong with them quality wise, Aeris as a brand no longer exists and are no longer supported. While some Oceanic parts will fit and work in the Aeris, as far as I understand, there is no guarantee of that. My wife's rig is Aeris and when we took it in for its annual inspection and service, we were informed that it was no longer warranted due to the brand being done away with and we had to pay for parts that were replaced although they were only 3 years old.

So just a word of warning. Your results could be different depending on the dive shop you buy from.

@GreggS Aeris was Oceanic's value brand, and most if not all of Aeris regulators are just rebranded Oceanics. While the brand does not exist anymore, Oceanic parts will fit the regulators. What I linked to is a rebranded Delta 2nd with a CDX5 first. At $145 I would consider it disposable as the service will be close to the cost of the set.

Some people do not value parts for life programs because they are made to sell regulators not to service them. If the OP wants to spend more he can get a Delta 4 from the same company on eBay for $200.

Back
Top Bottom