Apparel for snorkeling and protection from the sun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to buy some apparel for snorkeling, and I noticed there are different ideas on this
I will do snorkeling in the Philippines, and after that also in Italy in summer (mostly)
I can do snorkeling also without a suit, but the problem is the sun
Of course I would also use sun cream but I prefer to use also a suit or t-shirt, some people say also a windsurfing suit could do
What would you suggest?
Thanks

You can get rash guards/skins that offer built in sun protection. I would look for those.

I am reviewing rash guards/skins and since I have no experience I have some questions
1) Better with or without long sleeves?
2) Better to buy also trousers?
3) Should I add weights in case I use this apparel
4) Any recommendations about brands, or materials, or apparel types?
Thanks

I am reviewing rash guards/skins and since I have no experience I have some questions
1) Better with or without long sleeves?
2) Better to buy also trousers?
3) Should I add weights in case I use this apparel
4) Any recommendations about brands, or materials, or apparel types?
Thanks

1. IMO long sleeves and bottoms are better, for sun and stinger protection.
2. Answered above.
3. Most dive skins/rash guards are made of lycra or polyolefin which are neutrally buoyant, so no need for weights.
4. I have a Henderson polyolefin dive skin which I like a lot, and my wife uses more colorful lycra rash guard tops and bottoms with full leg coverage.
We also both wear a lycra hood tucked into the neck of the dive skin/rash guard for different reasons. Me, to keep the sun off my bald head and neck, and my wife to keep her long hair out of the way and from getting tangled in the mask straps, snorkel, and the mask seal.

Please take a look at our package deal on a full rashguard, consisting of a long sleeve top, matching pants and matching lycra hood (in two color options)

MDSR3P-2T.jpg

Dive Skin Rashguard 3 Piece Package | MAKO Spearguns

dive-skin-rashguard-pants.jpg

rashguard-dive-skin-shirt.jpg

rashguard-dive-skin-top-with-hood.jpg

The long sleeve rash guard we carry from Ocean Tec offers a SPF of 50 .
Its lightweight and a good idea when snorkeling or diving .
Sea Dwellers

Being bald I alway wear a beanie. My bald head got seriously fried year after year refereeing football (soccer) and I now have leisions. A beanie keeps it from getting worse.

Other than that I wear a thin lycra or nylon t-shirt and nylon shorts. I sometimes wear a spandex/nylon rashguard but I don't usually spend much time standing around out of the water in the sun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom