Why the hate/ridicule for split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fins are so over-rated...

7b3cb86f3c6211898eeeec650639022d.jpg

So, I bought my GF split fins. Does this make me a bad person?

:stirpot:

We all have different bodies, different things work differently for different people. Look at fish: they don’t all propell themselves the same way!

I won my splits in a treasure hunt contest. Good for keeping cramps away. No time to read all the posts.

I hung up my split fins because I felt they didn't displace enough water fast enough to help me against current

The trick I find with splits and currents, or speed, is not trying to do bigger harder kicks. The fin has a maximum force above which it probably becomes inefficient (I’m making some fluid dynamics assumptions here). What works is displacing the maximum optimal amount more often, ie. smaller, faster kicks, not larger, harder ones.

Haven’t been on SB for quite a while and this thread reminds me why. Who gives a rip what others wear? All the big dive training organizations work very hard to get new people into the sport to have fun and be safe. Use the fins that you want, learn from others, ask questions, TRY out new equipment...form YOU own opinions and enjoy the sport.

Last edited:
Haven’t been on SB for quite a while and this thread reminds me why. Who gives a rip what others wear? All the big dive training organizations work very hard to get new people into the sport only to be denigrated because they don’t prescribe to the holy grail of DIR or tech etc. Some people are actually just looking for a fun time and not looking to make diving their entire life. I took my old paddles on a dive trip due to the perceived power they would give me. This was in Roatan and by the time I got home I could barely walk and the next week got to have a total knee replacement. Yes, I was having knee problems prior but the week of easy diving was the final straw. I use bright yellow Twin Jets, back up, helicopter turn BUT mainly so my students can follow me underwater in the local lakes and another instructor uses WHITE ones for the same reason.
For those who look down from your lofty self built heights... have a nice time...most of us just laugh at your pretentiousness.

L I K E T H I S A L O T!

White fins are great to see! I had some white Tulsa paddle fins for a while for that reason... but they made me too foot light as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom