Looe Key vs Key largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am headed down in July.

Looking at different sites and was wondering if someone can tell me if Looe Key offers better diving than Key Largo or vice versa.

I dove with Quiescence out of Key Largo several times and had a great experience however we are always looking for something new.

So if anyone can provide insight with how they differ and different dive operators it would be appreciated.

I am going with the thought that all the keys were shallow and current free (for the most part) please correct me if I am wrong.

Short answer...no. Looe key is nice, but pales in comparison to the KL reefs...KL has better wrecks than the lower keysas well. Just my opinion

+1 tomfcrist. Key Largo has the best diving of the keys, then there is Islamorada for sport fishing, then Key West if you like perversion.

This isnt an even a question. Looe Key has beautiful coral. No question. But that’s it. One patch of coral.

Key Largo has molasses reef: a much, much bigger patch of coral. As well as a dozen wrecks to choose from.

And that doesn’t even include Mrs. Mac’s. Do yourself a favor and stop by. Hopefully they will have lionfish! :) ( though in fairness, Looe Key has No Name Pub...)

Key Largo. Every time.

There can be current sometimes

I recommend both. Take a day to drive down to Looe Key (about 2hrs), do the morning trip, spend the afternoon in Key West & drive back after the sunset at Mallory Square. Dive the rest of the days in Key Largo.

I just booked a dive trip to the lower Keys in August for 5 divers.

One morning we will be diving with Looe Key Dive Center and doing the Adolphus Busch wreck

That afternoon we will be 20 minutes North in Marathon with Captain Hooks doing the Thunderbolt wreck.

From what I've read there's some patchy reef here and there worth diving once but it's not like the upper Keys.

If you've got a party of five divers and are diving the Adolphus Busch with Looe Key's 6-pac boat, then you might consider asking them to do a a wreck / reef combo. Rather than spend an hour surface interval and doing a double dive on the relatively small wreck, you can surface and immediately relocate to the reef a Looe Key. Takes about 30 minutes to relocate and you'll be at a max depth of 30' on the reef with an average around 20' so usually you can jump right in. I've taken even the most hardened rust junkies on this dive, and none have ever come away regretting it. :clapping:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom