Mystery Item

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's one off Oahu - fish farm. Sharks come in for an easy meal. I've heard they're pretty aggressive also.

Well this washed up on the east side of Czm a few miles south of Punta Molas (north point of Cozumel) so it sure did not come from here. I really doubt there are any fish farms on the island. Where would they be? Only possible location would be from Passion Island up to the north tip and nobody has ever seen anything up there.

The article does not say that Cozumel has any fish farms. The Cooperative seems to be based on developing and implementing sustainable fishing techniques. We have quite a few fish farms in my area and they would be pretty darn hard to miss. They require a significant amount of support and I've never heard of anyone on the Island seeing them or working at them. Open ocean farms require even more industrial support than coastal. I don't believe that is happening off the island. I think this came from somewhere else.

A while back the folks that had the Cozumel pearl farm tried to farm snapper in Laguna Ciega, between Isla de la Pasion and the north end on the island. They said they had big problems with the fishing coop and eventually abandoned the effort. They moved out to the north end in open water and started farming pearl, but they said the should have done the reverse; farmed the oysters in the "nutrient-filled" bay and the fish off of the north end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom