Dive Report - Kauai, March 19-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Negitoro

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to leave a quick post on our recent trip. Unfortunately due to the weather we weren't able to make it to Niihau, but we had some very nice dives along the South Shore. Clay and his team at Bubbles Below in Port Allen couldn't have been nicer and the quality of the operation really enhanced our trip. The guides are extremely knowledgeable and have amazing eyes. (I still don't know how they could spot a 3mm baby frog fish and several very tiny nudis.) The rental equipment was also definitely a cut above the usual. Most of all, they're just a good, fun group and we had a blast. Mahalo to Bubbles Below!

One major highlight was seeing monk seals.
(With apologies for my video skills): https://flic.kr/s/aHskvbEdY8

In summary, I'd say even if you can't make it to Niihau, the dives off Kauai are still definitely worth it and I highly recommend Bubbles Below. If you're headed to Kauai, enjoy!

Great videos! Heading there in a few weeks and hope to get in a few dives.

Nice videos. Heading to Kauai next weekend. I hope that the island has recovered from the storms that hit on Saturday the 14th. 27 inches in 24 hours. I read flooding and damage everywhere.

Not to "message bomb" .... but this was Sheraton Caverns. Although in the past we have encountered seals there - this is only the 3rd time over the years that I have seen multiple seals so interactive there. I was lucky enough to be on this dive with the guys!

Epic day!
A

Looks like it was amazing! About how often do you encounter seals there?

Seals are by no means commonly seen at Sheraton Caverns, though (potentially) due to the close proximity to the haul out spot at Poipu Beach they are seen there time to time. Niihau season is under way now and that remains the best spot to spend extended bottom times with the magnificent critters!

Hope you are getting excited for your upcoming trip!
Aloha
A

Ok, but from reading about the sight it seams that turtles are common there? My camera is set up for wide angle so in addition to seals.. turtles, sharks, dolphins would all be awesome too. Any recs for best places to see them? And yes I am getting very excited!!! I hope the seals are returning to Lehua Crater!!! :D

Ok, but from reading about the sight it seams that turtles are common there? My camera is set up for wide angle so in addition to seals.. turtles, sharks, dolphins would all be awesome too. Any recs for best places to see them? And yes I am getting very excited!!! I hope the seals are returning to Lehua Crater!!! :D

In my opinion Sheraton Caverns is the second best spot on the island to see the turtles. The archways (lava tubes) also make for great wide angle shots when the water is clear. Dolphins frequent the coast lines all morning and encountering spinner dolphins in large groups is very reasonable to expect. Napali coast trips are pretty much a slam dunk to see them in very large numbers. Sharks can vary by time of year and just what is going on underwater during your visit. Whitetip reef sharks are seen with the most regularity at Turtle Bluffs off the south shore. It's a fantastic site that often has really fantastic vis' and great topography and critters.

A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom