Dive Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LDS I got my certification through covered us while getting certified. I got my own DAN Insurance once I had completed my cert. Insurance is expensive until you need it, then its very cheap. If you figure in all the costs for an emergency trip to a chamber including transport etc....the insurance is nothing. Here's an actual situation....I was sitting at a red light on my motorcycle....I got rear ended by a guy in a pickup truck, who was traveling 40 mph. I got transported to the ER by ambulance and spent half the night there having test etc.... I wasn't seriously hurt. However, the bill was over $40,000 US. My out of pocket was $500 US. My insurance costs $400 per year. The insurance is dirt cheap.

I lead occasional dive trips. I won't take anyone on the trips unless they have DAN or equivalent coverage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I am finding that more and more liveaboards REQUIRE you to have DAN insurance or something like it. Not so much with land based but it may be coming.

A a few years ago I had chartered the Aqua Cat. While on the trip one of our friends had what we thought was a mild heart attack. The decision was made to go to the nearest island with an airport. DAN arranged for a private plan to fly in and take him to a hospital in Florida. He stayed two nights in the hospital and was then flown back home. Total out of pocket expense......less than $200.

Time in a chamber is only a small part of what they cover. I can't imagine not having DAN if you travel anywhere to dive.

Only speaking for my shop / locality (USA).

When we run an Open Water Class - we sign you up for DAN's student Membership Program which will cover you for no cost during your entry level diving training. You can sign up for this yourself - if your instructor has not already - at the following site: danismybuddy.com

This insurance covers you for six months - or until you have completed the last required dive of your entry level certification.

Over the course of the Open Water class - I would have explained to you the importance of having some sort of Dive insurance - and hopefully convinced you to obtain your own insurance from DAN, DiveAssure - or the company of your choice - after your were certified.

I realize this is an old thread - but all dive pros should note that DAN changed the program.
1. students can't sign themselves up - has to the be the instructor
2. the coverage is tied to instructor that registered them - any instructor changes (like in a referral) and the new instructor has to reregister the student for coverage to be in effect.
3. Coverage is valid in the US and territitories, or through red tape elsewhere it seems.
I used to sign up every entry level student - now it seems if I do, I may be setting expectations that are not valid.

I realize this is an old thread - but all dive pros should note that DAN changed the program.
1. students can't sign themselves up - has to the be the instructor
2. the coverage is tied to instructor that registered them - any instructor changes (like in a referral) and the new instructor has to reregister the student for coverage to be in effect.
3. Coverage is valid in the US and territitories, or through red tape elsewhere it seems.
I used to sign up every entry level student - now it seems if I do, I may be setting expectations that are not valid.
I was confirming the same on their FAQ page... and called DAN for a clarification.

We use a shop account to register the student divers with DAN before CW (which also has a place to note the instructor). DAN advises that they would consider shop staff: Sally, Bob, Bjorn to all be part of the same store - and would consider the coverage to be in effect continuously (e.g. if Bjorn was the CW instructor during registration and later Sally was the instructor when an injury occurred.) They said that they would administratively update the listed instructor themselves after the fact in this case - and the store did not need to maintain / update the registration.

It seems that if an individual instructor is the original registering agent (not a shop with staff instructors)- then DAN would need to update the policy with the new instructor's name. And this would need to be initiated by the referring instructor.

Note - this was received verbally from DAN... You may want to verify this for yourself or - better yet -get a written policy that describes this in detail. The devil is in the details with insurance claims....

Last edited:
I was confirming the same on their FAQ page... and called DAN for a clarification.

We use a shop account to register the student divers with DAN before CW (which also has a place to note the instructor). DAN advises that they would consider shop staff: Sally, Bob, Bjorn to all be part of the same store - and would consider the coverage to be in effect continuously (e.g. if Bjorn was the CW instructor during registration and later Sally was the instructor when an injury occurred.) They said that they would administratively update the listed instructor themselves after the fact in this case - and the store did not need to maintain / update the registration.

It seems that if an individual instructor is the original registering agent (not a shop with staff instructors)- then DAN would need to update the policy with the new instructor's name. And this would need to be initiated by the referring instructor.

Note - this was received verbally from DAN... You may with to verify yourself or even better get a written policy that describes this in detail. The devil is in the details with insurance claims....
what they told me on the phone was one thing - what they are willing to commit to in writing is another:
  1. What happens if I enroll, then another instructor from our shop fills in for a pool session?
Since the DAN Pro is the Insured Member. Enrolling the student a second time will continue the coverage uninterrupted.

1. What happens for referral students?
The Instructor must be a DAN PRO Member, be in good standing with both DAN and their training agency, and must complete the online enrollment of the student in order for the student to keep his coverage.
  1. Is there a link to an actual policy we can read?
Yes, the Master Policy is listed here https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/pro/student-medical-coverage/student-policy-2017Sept1.pdf

You can see more information as well as an informative video on this page DAN Student Medical Expense Coverage

Please let us know if you have any further questions by emailing DANPROS@dan.org or calling +1-919-684-2948 for quick replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom