Anacapa Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good idea, except Spectra doesn’t turn on the jacuzzi until the end of the dive trip & on its way back to the dock, if I recall my memory correctly.

Last Saturday they turned it on after (or during?) the first dive. There were 2 or 3 people not diving that used it but also some divers got out of their wetsuits between dives to warm up. I don't know if they would turn it on if there weren't any non-divers on board.

Last Saturday they turned it on after (or during?) the first dive. There were 2 or 3 people not diving that used it but also some divers got out of their wetsuits between dives to warm up. I don't know if they would turn it on if there weren't any non-divers on board.

That’s good to know. I’ll be back to dive in Anacapa with Spectra in September & looking forward to dip in the jacuzzi after freezing my buns off diving there.

I do recall that you are not supposed to dip in with your salty-wet wetsuit in the jacuzzi as courtesy to others.

That’s good to know. I’ll be back to dive in Anacapa with Spectra in September & looking forward to dip in the jacuzzi after freezing my buns off diving there.

I do recall that you are not supposed to dip in with your salty-wet wetsuit in the jacuzzi as courtesy to others.

Yeah, not really the salt that is the problem in worn wetsuits! :eek:

Alright all you SoCal divers...finally making it out to the best coast to do some diving the first two weeks of June. My wife will be attending a conference in LA during week one, so my plan is to rent a car and drive up to Ventura one of those days and check out the channel islands.

The Raptor currently has a trip for Wednesday 6/6 that fits my schedule best, but they're going out to the Yellowbanks area. I've tried to do a little research, and from what I've read, currents can be an issue here. With a little less than 50 dives total under my belt, I'm unsure if this should be my first choice for Cali diving.

The other option is The Spectre the following day, 6/7. No destination is noted yet.

I guess my main question is, will I be okay going out on the Raptor to Yellowbanks? I'm not opposed to hiring a guide for the day, especially since I plan to bring a camera and take in the sites. Also, does the boat stand a good chance of going out on an early season weekday trip?

Finally, after we leave LA, we're going to head down south to my sister in laws place in Laguna. I plan on grabbing a dive boat out to Catalina one day, but I'd also love to do some super local shore dives (thinking Shaw's cove, Crystal cove, etc...). I welcome any suggestions, and if you're around and want to dive, let me know!! I'm gonna need buddies!

Alright all you SoCal divers...finally making it out to the best coast to do some diving the first two weeks of June. My wife will be attending a conference in LA during week one, so my plan is to rent a car and drive up to Ventura one of those days and check out the channel islands.

The Raptor currently has a trip for Wednesday 6/6 that fits my schedule best, but they're going out to the Yellowbanks area. I've tried to do a little research, and from what I've read, currents can be an issue here. With a little less than 50 dives total under my belt, I'm unsure if this should be my first choice for Cali diving.

The other option is The Spectre the following day, 6/7. No destination is noted yet.

I guess my main question is, will I be okay going out on the Raptor to Yellowbanks? I'm not opposed to hiring a guide for the day, especially since I plan to bring a camera and take in the sites. Also, does the boat stand a good chance of going out on an early season weekday trip?

Finally, after we leave LA, we're going to head down south to my sister in laws place in Laguna. I plan on grabbing a dive boat out to Catalina one day, but I'd also love to do some super local shore dives (thinking Shaw's cove, Crystal cove, etc...). I welcome any suggestions, and if you're around and want to dive, let me know!! I'm gonna need buddies!

I DM on the Raptor regularly and although the website might say Yellow Banks, the reality is that the captain will never put the boat anywhere with lots of current. Most of the dive sites listed on the website are placeholders. All decisions on where to dive are made on the day of diving and taking into consideration the weather, surge, currents, wind, and profile of the people on the boat. So, bottom line: don't let what the calendar says influence your decision. The mid week dives are always a bit iffy unless the boat has been chartered. It will be dependent on a minimum number of people signing up (usually 6-8 people).

As for Laguna Beach, Shaw's Cove would be an outstanding shore dive to choose to do. Easy entry and exit. Very straightforward on the navigation and a lovely shallow dive site that allows for long bottom times. Keep me posted as the dates get closer and send me a message. I might be able to connect with you.

I DM on the Raptor regularly and although the website might say Yellow Banks, the reality is that the captain will never put the boat anywhere with lots of current. Most of the dive sites listed on the website are placeholders. All decisions on where to dive are made on the day of diving and taking into consideration the weather, surge, currents, wind, and profile of the people on the boat. So, bottom line: don't let what the calendar says influence your decision. The mid week dives are always a bit iffy unless the boat has been chartered. It will be dependent on a minimum number of people signing up (usually 6-8 people).

As for Laguna Beach, Shaw's Cove would be an outstanding shore dive to choose to do. Easy entry and exit. Very straightforward on the navigation and a lovely shallow dive site that allows for long bottom times. Keep me posted as the dates get closer and send me a message. I might be able to connect with you.
Thanks for the info @Trailboss123 ! I think I will book Raptor then. Hopefully a few other folks do the same so we make it out! I'll be in touch as the dates get closer.

Anacapa is interesting as the warmest of the four northern Channel Islands and the Peace is an excellent dive boat. As to whether it will be a good dive for you, that all depends on what you are looking for. Not sure where you've dived before. I've rarely met a dive I didn't like.

This is California diving.

Be ready for cooler waters.

If you have not been before a dive guide could be a very good idea.

Anacapa is interesting as the warmest of the four northern Channel Islands and the Peace is an excellent dive boat. As to whether it will be a good dive for you, that all depends on what you are looking for. Not sure where you've dived before. I've rarely met a dive I didn't like.
Thanks Dr. Bill! I looked into the Peace but unfortjnaunfoit doesn't look like they'll be going out on any of my dates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom