Setting yourself up for amazing diving in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
If you are here on Scubaboard you are already on the right track for planning. Over the years I've been so impressed by dive professionals here in the islands. There is a great willingness to help you out and be sure you meet your needs. Many divers set up bookings last minute, but with a little planning you can really set yourself up for fantastic experiences whether you are doing 1 or 10 days of diving. Some thoughts and tips on doing so...

1. Allow some flexibility with your booking dates. Weather can impact surface and underwater conditions. Lighter winds can open up the playbook for sites and make options less limited. Lighter winds and reduced swell are always ideal. Especially if you are booking upon arrival on island - ask what days look to be the best? You can also do your own research (NOAA forecast for example) and get a good idea of what is ahead. If you book well in advance which is the best idea in my opinion, let the dive operation know that you are flexible with diving days and touch base with them several days before your planned/booked days. It's also fine to express an interest in diving with a group of divers that are of your experience level. Mixed groups are common, but if you wish to do "mellow" or shallow dives - most companies will do their best to make it happen. On the other end of things, many companies offer more advanced dives. Remember that you are the customer and it is absolutely ok to express your desires as the pertain to your experience level and dive interests.

2. Keep open dialog with the crew when you arrive. Divemasters love to know if you are nervous, rusty, new etc... While we can often interview and determine these things on our own, it's best to communicate up front. A good crew will bend over backwards to make sure you get personalized as well as helpful guidance when you express these things. It's also best to let them know if you've had bad/challenging experiences in the past. Again, a good staff will work to ensure they don't repeat. We LOVE to have the chance to further educate and train divers to get better. A GOOD DIVER IS ALWAYS LEARNING. The reality is that most divers don't get to dive 10,20, 30+ times a year. A little rust is expected if you fall into these categories. Past ear issues are also a great thing to communicate.

3. Consider the option of shore diving!!!! This is such an overlooked opportunity in Hawaii! The shore diving throughout the islands is awesome. Shore diving doesn't mean hard work and missing out on anything. It certainly doesn't mean you are a beginner either. While shore dives are certainly a great starting point if you are rusty (or fall into any of the other perviously mentioned categories) they can offer opportunities that a boat may not. They are great for long bottom times generally and are usually more personalized.

4. Refresh before you come if the opportunity is available. This can mean a pool refresher at a local dive shop - or just a run through your training manual / DVD. If you have a dive buddy / family members you can go over things together. Minimally you should review hand signals and communication. We all have had challenges with the fine art of underwater communication. Slates btw are great for eliminating these issues.

5. If you don't log dives......(I'm old school and think everyone should). It is sooo important to know how much weight you need. 4 extra pounds / 4 to light = potential for a less than desirable dive experience. YES, they can be overcome and handled, but if you know already based on experience what you need it is the single most important piece of information (again, in my humble opinion) that you can provide a DM. It also opens the playbook for your options for sites/dives sometimes. If several divers on a boat "have no idea" it tends to impact decisions on dive sites. This is a complex issue that I won't get into in detail this post, but if you don't know - work with a guide on your dive(s) to figure it out. It will go really far in terms of your progression as a diver. Proper weighting can also be a safety issue as you likely are very aware. Minimally, by getting your weight right - you ensure longer bottom times.

Anyway, that's all for now gang. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year full of amazing diving. I hope these thoughts are well received and guide some divers to better experiences with some amazing operations and guides here in the Hawaii Islands.

Love to hear your thoughts. AND really happy to help as always with any questions dive members may have.

Cheers
A

Nice! I’m a new diver moving to Hawaii end of next month. I’ll have some time and want to dive hard when I get there. I’ll keep with this thread and let you know if I can find my way to Kauai sooner than later.

Funny me and the S/O we’re talking about Hawaii the other day thinking about a trip next year. I know local divers get used to warmer water, but would it be 2mm shorty temps? Anything is warmer than a 7mm farmer John an 50 degree water.

Funny me and the S/O we’re talking about Hawaii the other day thinking about a trip next year. I know local divers get used to warmer water, but would it be 2mm shorty temps? Anything is warmer than a 7mm farmer John an 50 degree water.

Depending on the time of year that you visit the ocean temperature does vary the better part of 10 degrees. While only a degree or two, you may also find that Kona is a hint warmer than Kauai / Oahu. Some divers that are normally diving in the cooler California / Pac NW waters will dive without suits or in 3mm shorties in the summer months, but I would say it is the exception and not the norm. Naturally body composition plays a part in this as well. If you are in visiting in the summer months you can expect 77-80 degrees (at least as far as Kauai goes). Winter months will drop almost 10 degrees. Shops here like ours rent out 5mm or 5/3 wetsuits year round.

I'd suggest something a hint warmer without knowing your specifics. 3mm full would be my minimal suggestion. I do (to be fair) always err on the side of warmth. Ha! after almost 20 years here I do dive in an 8/7 in winter months after all.......

Good luck planning and I hope your Hawaiian trip works out for you!
Best of ocean wishes
A

Depending on the time of year that you visit the ocean temperature does vary the better part of 10 degrees. While only a degree or two, you may also find that Kona is a hint warmer than Kauai / Oahu. Some divers that are normally diving in the cooler California / Pac NW waters will dive without suits or in 3mm shorties in the summer months, but I would say it is the exception and not the norm. Naturally body composition plays a part in this as well. If you are in visiting in the summer months you can expect 77-80 degrees (at least as far as Kauai goes). Winter months will drop almost 10 degrees. Shops here like ours rent out 5mm or 5/3 wetsuits year round.

I'd suggest something a hint warmer without knowing your specifics. 3mm full would be my minimal suggestion. I do (to be fair) always err on the side of warmth. Ha! after almost 20 years here I do dive in an 8/7 in winter months after all.......

Good luck planning and I hope your Hawaiian trip works out for you!
Best of ocean wishes
A

It would most likely be a February or April trip. So I guess that’s not the summer lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom