What's the coldest water temp you will wetsuit in??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a skin 2 hood attached 7mm FJ wetsuit in California waters summer and winter,

flexible, comfortable, and warm.

I dislike bag drysuits and bulky undergarments.

Neoprene drysuits are somewhat better.

I'm in the ocean to get wet, but stay warm.

I did two dives that day I never went deeper then 40 feet and the air temp was about 15 c
I can see that's doable. Your air temp was 15 (59F). When I dive wet in below 40C the air temp. in winter is more like 0-5C. Thus, the only one dive thing.
I'll begin 2 dives a day in about the end of the first week in May when the air temp. gets reasonable. Will continue to do two through Oct., as the water usually is still above 50F--Then in Nov. the air temp. gets dicey again. Interesting comparison ocean to fresh water. Takes the ocean a long time to "warm up", but an equally long time in Fall to cool down. We used to live on a large lake in N. Manitoba, which varied in water temp. quite a bit if a couple of cold or warm days occurred. On odd occasions it cold be colder in July than in Sept. or vice versa. Of course by Nov. 1 it froze over like clockwork until usually the May long weekend. Sometimes the last ice was there into June.

Last edited:
I'm going diving today in the st Lawrence
It's supposed to snow (I'm diving dry) I'll let you guys know how cold the water is considering it's only around 1 degree air temp
Given that I dive wet, I'll wait a bit :)

I did a Lake Michigan dive recently where the temp was 43F at 66ft. I was a bit chilly, but not bad. I regretted not taking my Lavacore hooded vest and wearing my Deep6 fins with a larger foot pocket than my splits so I could wear neoprene socks under my boots. I’ve changed that now and I’m comfy.

My last dive, the surface temp was 58*F. At 42 ft, it was 43*F. I was in a 7mm wetsuit, with 5mm boots, hood, and gloves. I had a Lavacore vest, but no shorts (backordered) It ended up being a short (35 min) dive because my dive buddy got cold. Going down again next week.

72, but only if the dive is less than 90 or so minutes.

My usual dives are in the 50's and down into the high 40's in a 7mil farmer John. I've gone down into the mid to low 40's, but will cut the dive short and go back above the thermocline 'cause it's too f'n cold down there for me.

Bob

15 in a wetsuit below that i am taking my drysuit. Its not that i dont like the cold its just a drysuit is so much more comfortable after getting out the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom