Tech fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started I dove Quattro Pro's. They're still in the dive locker in fact, and my grandson now uses them. My fin of choice for a long time were Turtle's and I still have two pair that I should probably get around to selling one of these days.

When I switched from doubles to a rebreather I found I was a bit foot heavy and on the advice of a friend switched to the lighter Slipstreams. Initially they gave me leg cramps but that resolved quickly. A buddy has the Hollis's and I've tried them and liked them too but like the Turtles they are heavy -they are also BIG. Dive Rites have their fans and Jets have been popular for a long time of course.

As this indicates, a recommendation for a "best" tech fin is hard to make. Generally speaking they are all fairly similar, the primary differences being weight and stiffness. All will perform the various kick styles necessary for "tech" diving ie: frog, modified flutter, back, helo turns, etc .

I suggest you try out a variety if you can because personally, I prefer some over others and you probably will too. Most every pair of fins I've ever bought I bought used off the forums or eBay. At the price you will pay for used fins you can buy a pair of each and resell the ones you don't like. Even if you lose a bit of money (which is unlikely if you shop wisely) you'll probably still spend less in the end than if you'd bought one pair new. And no matter which fins you get the straps should be springs.

Gary
Well said

Paddle bladed fins are definitely optimal for developing fine control maneuvering techniques. There are an increasingly large number of these fins on the market, offering divers a range of buoyancy amd rigidity characteristics. These represent advances in material compounds technology.

Fin buoyancy, whether positive, negative or neutral, forms a part of the diver's overall trim needs. These needs differ depending on unique body composition, exposure protection, cylinder type and a host of other personal factors.

Drysuit divers tend to favor negatively buoyant fins that help counter floaty feet.

Likewise, backmount doubles place more weight higher on the torso, compared to sidemount, amd often benefit from heavier fins as a counter-balance. Sidemount, especially in wetsuits, favours a neutral or even slightly positive fin.

Stiffness is also a primary factor. Stiffer fins provide more intuitive kinesthetic feedback and fine control movement. The drawback can be that they compel more muscular exertion in travelling propulsion; increasing fatigue and elevating cardiovascular demand on the body.

Powerful, stiff fins need to be paired with powerful driving motors...the legs and lungs. This demands higher stamina and cardio fitness from the user.

That's okay for very frequent divers and those who perform an appropriate supplementary fitness regimen. For many divers, however, the fins will become useless if/when their legs inevitability gass out.

Choosing a less stiff paddle fin material, and accepting slightly decreased fine control, can be the more prudent option.

Anyone thinking about replying to this thread should be aware the original post and replies were wrapped up about eight years ago. And the OP hasn't logged in to ScubaBoard since last year.

If the original poster is still diving, and gets a notification / logs back in to ScubaBoard, I have to admit I'd be interested in their 2010 fin choice, and/or in their perspective on that choice today!

From all fins I've tried, Apeks RK3 are the best. They are almost neutral in water, good balance of power and precision. Now there is also a Apeks RK3 HD version, which is a tad heavier, if memory serves.

© "Anyone thinking about replying to this thread should be aware the original post and replies were wrapped up about eight years ago." - Oops, didn't see this.

I have owned Hollis F-1s. Great fins. I prefer scubapro Jets.

Back
Top Bottom