Post-Surgery: Advice for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And thus why have both. Her book is terrific and I always have them both when on island. She gets the benefit of the doubt if the descriptions are inconsistent.
Exactly :). The author, Marloes Otten, took many of the photos used in the guide. He had many well known contributors to assist him.My well used copy of BSDME is the 5th edition from 2007, I'll get the new one.

IF you are still considering options for BOAT DIVES, I highly recommend "Div'Ocean". They take a maximum of 6 - 8 divers and sometimes you may be the only 2 divers on the boat (and yes, they still go take you out). Super easy because they set up your equipment just the way you like it on the boat, and you just take 2-3 small steps from their dock onto the boat, with handholds. You can do whatever is easiest for YOU re: putting on equipment (on the boat, with help if needed OR in the water) and the same with removing the equipment - it call all be removed in the water and they are happy to pull it on the boat and assist you back on board, if needed.

They plan 1 hour between dives, supply juice, water, raisin buns and fruit and are just the nicest and most fun dive op we've ever used. Also they are happy to help with fish id and have an uncanny ability to find fish you're interested in (for me, always lots of Reef Squid).

We dove with them for a week in Dec, 2016, when my arthritic hip was so bad I wasn't sure I'd even be able to dive, and I took all my equipment off in the water - super easy ! And for 2 weeks in Dec, 2017 (after my hip replacement) and were again very gracious and helpful.

Nice clean water to rinse your equipment and they lock up your equipment each night.

Prior years we used Habitat and the service there was ok, considering how many people were on the boat, but as I worsened I didn't feel comfortable there. I'm 68 now and after hip surgery feel really happy to have found Div'Ocean's great dive op where I can feel 100% safe and happy.

Here's their website (also did reviews for our 2016 trip in Undercurrent and TripAdvisor). http://www.divoceanbonaire.com/

Yes, it will be soon, but soon is defined in island time.
Update Re dock repairs @ Dive Friends Sand Dollar location--the renovation re-started on Monday, Jan. 22. Expectation is that it will be complete in a week or a bit more.

FB_IMG_1518314384577.jpg
UPDATE: We got married last week down in Islamorada!

FB_IMG_1518314364333.jpg

Looks like Diana will need to postpone the knee surgery until after the trip. It's a long story, but she had foot surgery about 7 years ago that didn't go well, and she needs that to get fixed before she can do the knee, or else the knee rehab will fail.

Still doing the honeymoon in Bonaire in April, and will play everything by ear.

Oh, and that's NOT the wedding bouquet! LOL

Last edited:
Hi @lmorin

Is the dock repair finished?
For all intents and purposes, yes. After multiple small issues, including a termite infestation acquired while the removed pier boards were in storage for 5 mo, the dock was fully opened for business last week. There may be some details yet to be completed (replace one or two boards, possibly; add a third gear-up bench, possibly), but the mess and narrow access are gone.

Now, we'd like a bit better vis. as it has been fair to pretty poor for the last several days. Strong winds from the east, but uncommonly large swells from the west. Odd. Seemingly coming from Klein, but possibly from the wind driven wave action being reflected off Klein back to the Bonaire shore. Not clear how/why the shoreline turbulence is happening, but it is. Never seen such before except during the rare occasions that the wind comes from the west or northwest.

Thanks @lmorin

Could somebody please post a photo of the refurbished dock?
Here you go- Taken from Den Laman FB page:

upload_2018-2-13_14-1-30.png

Here is their comment:
It took a lot longer than expected, but with great, great pleasure we can announce that our pier is ready again after an intensive renovation!
Enjoy your weekend!

Well, all systems are go for our honeymoon in Bonaire. Wife has been able postpone the knee surgery, and does NOT need the foot surgery, so we've arranged three 2-tank boat dives with Dive Friends along with unlimited shore dives. They're looking forward to working with us to get her back in the water again. Our LDS rents the local high school pool out each Wednesday evening and we've been able to go over there with them and get some in-water time where she has gotten re-acclimated with her gear.

When we get down to Bonaire we're going to hire Dive Friends to have them do a refresher course with us, and also have them give us guided tours of the house reefs. We'll do the boat dives later in the week once she's got her confidence back. For this trip we'll stick to Bari Reef and the other house reefs for shore dives.

She's really excited (and nervous) about getting back into diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom