Old guy needs an air integrated computer that he can READ!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nerd 2? According to Shearwater, "From the combination of the Micro LCD display and the magnifying lens, the data on the NERD 2 appears as if you were looking at a 25 inch TV 12 feet away."

I don’t like things on my wrists because I often peel down the top half of my thick wetsuit between dives and then have to take it off and remember to put it back on and not lose it on the boat. With the air integrated console with compass everything is in one place, attached to my rig, and only one place to check underwater.
I put my computer in one fin and my mask in the other. Protects them and they are impossible to forget unless you forget to put on your fins. Not that I've ever forgotten that. Heck I've splashed with one fin and no fins.

I put my computer in one fin and my mask in the other. Protects them and they are impossible to forget unless you forget to put on your fins. Not that I've ever forgotten that. Heck I've splashed with one fin and no fins.
Clipped to the BCD. If I forget that I got bigger problems!

My vision is not that bad and yes I have prescription masks. I just don’t like any of the dive computers that Pete @The Chairman has given me to try through the years. I would like it to be air integrated. I looked at the Oceanic Pro that Meg @aquacat8 had at the Mega Dive this weekend. Who else makes something with a large display like that I should consider?

Moose, take a look at the Mares Icon Black. It's hard to beat for the screen readability and intuitiveness. Four buttons gives far better navigation and quick access to other features. In both categories it beats the Shearwater, IMO.

HOWEVER, it does run the RGBM algorithm, which for some they don't like because it's a little more conservative. There are three conservative settings though. I haven't had any issues against other divers and their computers.

If you come over to Tampa Bay you are welcome to have a look at mine in a pool.

mares_icon_hd_side-800x800.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh I just talked to a Oceanic dealer LDS who said it’s up in the air what Huish might do with Oceanic, according to their rep, and rumored possibilities include that it might go away, and the shop is having a hard time getting service kits. Might not be a good time to buy Oceanic. Of course I just did...

I can easily see my Perdix underwater. You can change the brightness and screen color which might help some.

Don't know if anyone suggested the Mares Icon. Very big numbers, can set brightness, length of backlighting (always on if you want it), change the screen to night mode (black and white numbers, alerts in color).

The graphic for air has both the numeric display and a tank icon that has five (color) ranges:
BLUE: the upper half between OPERATING TANK PRESSURE and MID TANK WARNING
GREEN: lower half between OPERATING TANK PRESSURE and MID TANK WARNING
YELLOW: upper half between MID TANK WARNING and 50bar/750psi.
ORANGE: lower half between MID TANK WARNING and 50bar/750psi.
RED: below 50bar / 750psi
You set operating pressure and mid tank.

I find it very readable. I got prescription lenses in my mask with my reading formula on the bottom of the left lens so I could read everything. I've never needed it with the Icon.

The best screen that can be read at any angel with big numbers I can read without glasses:
Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model

There is also the Scubapro G2 which is also excellent:
G2 Wrist Dive Computer, w/ Transmitter & HRM | SCUBAPRO
Do you have thoughts vis-a-vis the reliability of the Ratio computers?

I say this having had some experience with Italian cars. Beautiful to look at, wonderful to drive (when they run), crap for reliability

Do you have thoughts vis-a-vis the reliability of the Ratio computers?

I say this having had some experience with Italian cars. Beautiful to look at, wonderful to drive (when they run), crap for reliability

I haven't had any issue with my Ratio computer at all so far. Way back when they first started few years ago, there may have been issues (I only seen a couple of complaints here), but nothing I know about now. I say this based on my own experience and what some friends who own it told me.

You may be right about some of the Italian cars, but remember that many of the top brands in scuba diving have their regulators, gauges, BC's, cylinders, MFS's made in Italy and they are the best in what they do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom