Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaveman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello everyone,
I am new to this found, but I was using its resources for a while.
I am thinking to do solo shore dives in Torrance California to improve my trim and buoyancy. I was diving only in worm waters in south Asia and central America using 3mm wet suit with 14lbs of weight. Diving in California requires 7mm or so. I'll be using 30cf side mount pony tank and 130 cf steel as my primary tank. I'm thinking to go 30-40 feet no more than that as solo diver. I'm 6'3 190lbs. Whats your thoughts on that? How much weight should I add? I need to make all the adjustments before doing boat dives .
Thank you .

Check your weights in a pool, then add about 6 lbs for salt water. You'll probably need 8-10 pounds more for your 7mm suit, instead of a 3mm, and subtract about that much for your 130 steel. The pony doesn't really matter. My first guess is 14 in the pool, 20 in the ocean, with a 7mm and a steel 130.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Welcome aboard to So.Cal. diving and to this board!
Please feel free to drop on down to our local forum here: SoCal and join in our fun.

Hello everyone,
I am new to this found, but I was using its resources for a while.
I am thinking to do solo shore dives in Torrance California to improve my trim and buoyancy. I was diving only in worm waters in south Asia and central America using 3mm wet suit with 14lbs of weight. Diving in California requires 7mm or so. I'll be using 30cf side mount pony tank and 130 cf steel as my primary tank. I'm thinking to go 30-40 feet no more than that as solo diver. I'm 6'3 190lbs. Whats your thoughts on that? How much weight should I add? I need to make all the adjustments before doing boat dives .
Thank you .
Hey fellow CA diver! As a general rule, you want 10% of your body weight if diving a 7mm suit in saltwater on the CA coast. This is about where we start our students and of course depending on your body composition, 130cf steel tank, and any additional warming layers you may be utilizing, you may need to adjust up or down a few pounds. But usually 10% gets you pretty close. Good luck!

You may also consider finding folks to shore dive with. Im sure there are many dive clubs/groups in the LA/Torrance area. The Meetup.com website and app are a good source -- its how I find dive buddies for Monterey area diving. Facebook likely also has several clubs. And Im sure there are others.

You can find group shore dives, or connect with a buddy that wants to do similar - shallow shore dives.

I dive about 8 lbs with a 3mm, 14 lbs with a 5mm, and 20 lbs with a 7mm. These are all with AL80s. I take off about 4 lbs with a steel tank. I'm close to your size

I'll rent 7mm suit and will take 20 lbs with me and I'll go from there. Thank you all for your help.

Hello everyone,
I have a few questions for the professionals out there.
1)What's your take on the size of pony bottle for solo diving? 19 cu ft vs 30 cu ft.
2)I am going to use LP 130 cu ft steel cylinder, and if I will follow the rule of thirds, it will leave me with 43 cu ft of air for my assent. On the other hand, when I'm diving AL 80, I will have 26 cu ft left using the same rule. Can I leave 26 cu ft instead of 43 cu ft for my assent when diving steel 130?
3)I am currently using scubapro knighthawk bcd with air 2 as octo and my setup is scubapro mk20/s600. I want to add scubapro R190 as second octo so I can use my other BCD. Was wondering if R190 will serve as octopus.
4)I have another set of regs(Tusa RS-350)that I want to use for my pony bottle. The problem with TUSA that it is not serviced by my diving shop. I can by used Oceanic alpha 8 with dx4 for $90 and service it at my shop. What's your take on TUSA RS-350 vs Oceanic Alpha8/DX4?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom