IDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you willing to live anywhere in the world? Would this be a lifetime commitment or just a few years?
Yes I am ready to travel...as I have been doing so for about 5 yrs off and on for periods of 4-6 months...had the business, nice house, harley, big truck, etc...not my cup of tea anymore :) and yes I am looking at it long term

Asia can be good for employment opportunities as it's always high season somewhere, and the cost of living is often quite reasonable... I have never found it difficult to find work here, even as a new instructor...
Thx :) Im presently in Bali, but looking at Utila as I have contacts there where I did my DM and it seems that there might be more opportunities around central and south america...any thoughts on that?

Outsider's (read non-pro's) observation: in my experience, dive professionals in the vacation-diving world are a very mobile bunch. It seems like everyone I dive with is from somewhere else, and previously worked in at least one other vacation spot. I say that to say: it seems to me that whatever location has jobs today is likely to be flooded with professionals tomorrow (unless it's just a bad place to work). I say figure out where you want to be first, and then find the job.

Outsider's (read non-pro's) observation: in my experience, dive professionals in the vacation-diving world are a very mobile bunch. It seems like everyone I dive with is from somewhere else, and previously worked in at least one other vacation spot. I say that to say: it seems to me that whatever location has jobs today is likely to be flooded with professionals tomorrow (unless it's just a bad place to work). I say figure out where you want to be first, and then find the job.
Any experience with Asia and Carribean/Central America? Any opinions on them?

Any experience with Asia and Carribean/Central America? Any opinions on them?

None with Asia or Central America, but I have a lot of Caribbean travel and diving experience. Personally, I would gladly live just about anywhere in the Caribbean, but that might be because I'm part Trinidadian. St. Croix would probably be my first choice of places to live, though not necessarily the best diving (it's not bad, just not as great as some other places).

You may find some helpful wisdom here: Recommendation for vacation home near great diving

Thx :) Im presently in Bali, but looking at Utila as I have contacts there where I did my DM and it seems that there might be more opportunities around central and south america...any thoughts on that?

Sorry, I cant help there - I have not been over that side of the world...

There are IDCs that prepare their candidates for the Instructor's Exam.

There are IDCs that can have candidates through their programs in about 7-10 days.

There are IDCs that let you stay on and assist in courses after your IE.

There are IDCs that will hire you outright after your IE.

There are IDCs that will work around your oun work schedule.

There are many factors that goes into an IDC that will make it a good fit for you.

Dear OP...what is it you are specifically looking for in an IDC? What are your parameters? Then you can get a better recommendations for locations and programs.

The number of people I train here in Roatan that get jobs is very high. Especially if you do the course in the first 4 months of the year when the island is busy.

Back
Top Bottom