Have you ever had to doff and don your rig while diving?

Have you ever had to doff and don your rig while diving?

• Yes

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 50.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught to dunk my BC or at least the straps. I got out of the habit until I saw someone panic when their tank slipped so I've made a point of doing it again- especially if renting gear. Helps with the weight belt too.

This series of posts certainly verifies that in diving like other activities that require emergencies to be performed should be demonmasted and perfected under expert supervision in a controlled environment.

However, often under extreme duress some how some way the human intellect assumes control and the activity is performed, not as should have been demonmasted and perfected under expert supervision in a controlled environment, but some way with out mishap.

It is a tribute to early dive training when the object was to produce divers rather that todays step marketing of people who dive

SDM

Once. Went into a wreck without a line.(Never do that...) I had used a line several times before and decided to go without as there are several line traps that are a pain. Never had trouble with silt before, so I wasn't worried about it. So of course I ended up dropping a fin and silting it out. Bad. I had penetrated in about 150 ft and made it out thru one door. This wreck sits on an angle with the only opening down in the mud at 170ft. I kind of knew where I was and where I had to go when I got tangled in some chains hanging from the ceiling. I sat and waited for a few minutes to see if the silt would settle. No luck. Could barely make out my light in my face. After a back to God moment, worked on freeing myself and suddenly saw a light above me. Swam up to a small hole in the deck and couldn't fit thru. Took off my doubles and pushed them thru.( I let the air out of the BC first).I squeezed thru with a small tear in my drysuit and put the tanks back on. Grabbed my deco bottle and surfaced as I was pretty low on backgas. Later I found that I had broke a hole in the floor that was trapping me in. Thank God for rotten wood.

@JVos
I note by your profile you are 51, live in Michigan ,NAUI trained and have made between 2500 and 4999 dives.

Great post of your experience -- enjoyed reading about it

Were you ever trained to do a D&R or as in modern terminology D&D ? At what level of training ?

Cheers from Sunny California
SDM

Never had trouble with silt before, so I wasn't worried about it. So of course I ended up dropping a fin and silting it out.

As you well know, avoiding silt-out is not a reliable strategy: Wreck Penetration
I am perplexed after reading wreck diver training outlines and talking to a couple of instructors. IMHO, treatment of silt-outs is incomplete and backwards. I am a firm believer that divers need to spend a fair amount of time in zero visibility before they penetrate a wreck or even start a wreck diving class.
Here's the logic:
Wreck divers will eventually find themselves in black-out conditions. It really doesn't matter why. All your lights can fail. Silt can be stirred up by an awkward move, another diver, shifting debris, or wresting a prize binnacle to sunlight. In the end you are in the dark and have to deal with it.
Everyone's first experience in black water is uncomfortable at best. Symptoms range from a little paranoia to "get me the hell out of here" panic. Air consumption goes up, time perception is shot, and you reflexively recoil from the slightest touch -- making matters worse. Almost everyone gets over it in time.
IMHO, the great majority of wreck diving classes compound the problem. They place great emphasize on avoiding black-out conditions and address managing it with lip service. All the talk about avoidance, spare lights, and depending on your buddy isn't very useful when you are suddenly alone and in the dark. That dread and total lack of habituation is a recipe for disaster.
How are you going to monitor your air supply if you can't see? How are you going to find your buddy -- who might be in full panic mode? How are you going to get out if you can't think straight? Becoming comfortable in these conditions far in advance of being faced with them can turn a deadly situation into an inconvenience.
OK, so how do I learn?
You don't need an instructor for this. You have no idea how long it will take; it is almost entirely mental preparation. You need to feel alone. Have a buddy on the surface watching your bubbles if you feel it necessary. You don't need to be in more than 5-8' (1500-2400mm) of water.
Find some shallow ink-black water in a safe location to practice in. Try to perceive as much as possible from your other senses -- but wear gloves. It is best to find a mud bottom and stir it up if necessary. If that is too difficult, start by blacking out your mask with tape or turning your light off on night dives, but remember that is isn't quite the same. I have no idea why. Make sure you graduate to black water during the day. You will be amazed what you can learn in water shallow enough to stand up in.
I was lucky. One of my six days of ocean dives in Scuba school was devoted to black water. The instructor would tie a large nut onto a ping pong ball with about 3' (1 M) of string. Then he distributed about 30 of them in really shallow water with a mud bottom and zippo vis. Competition between students to recover the most ping pong balls earned them two air fills and coveted bragging rights. The desire to win and not look like a wimp probably helped this all-male class. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but those dives made my first night dive really easy along with US Navy Diving School years later.
When is it enough?
You will know. Air consumption will be at or near normal, you won't flinch every time something touches you, and you can start to "see" with your hands. Then you are ready to start your wreck class.

To prevent slipping down tank after fastening tank belt buckle - put your gear, at least tank belt, in to the water, and wait a little, before it be wet.
Then tightly close your buckle.
With closed wet belt I NEVER had tank slipping.
Or buy the Apollo Bio Tank Lock (about $100 CAD). It's a bolt system that tightens up in water. Then tighten it again in between dives. Tank will never slip and you don't have to wet the straps.
As well, it replaces the buckles so you don't to cinch them tight enough that you bust a gut doing so.

Or buy the Apollo Bio Tank Lock (about $100 CAD).
Deep Sea Supply has a Rubber Baby Buggy Bumper at a fraction of the cost and it works well. However, I have never had a tank slip when there have been two tank cam bands. In addition, you get a lot of stability with that as well.

Once, diving off Pt. Loma, San Diego.

Searching for abalone at about 60-80 feet along "the pipeline" my buddy became very
engaged with taking a abalone tucked in behind a rock.

He ran out of air after all his exertion.

He came to me and yanked the regulator from my mouth. He began to breathe heavily.

In those past days we were diving without octo's.

I realized I was not getting my reg back anytime soon.

I bailed out of my tank and reg. and made a free ascent.

The good buddy emerged a few minutes later.

We stayed diving partners-He had the boat.

It did teach me a good lesson. One of the reasons I normally solo dive.

Last edited:
In 4 decades of diving I have had D&D twice both were because of entanglement .I have also done it a few times to make adjustments .

I can't see how anyone can say any skill taught in a scuba class is worthless or useless any and all knowledge is a good thing whether it is ever used or not.

We were taught things like breathing off a tank with no regulator and how to make hand goggles if you lost your mask I have never had to use these skills but they certainly were confidence builders .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom